Part Eleven

Walking towards the lockers I noticed that Chris had his back to me. I could see that he was talking to Teddy. I came up behind Chris and wrapped my arms around his waist burying my face into his back. He was 6'4 and I was only 5'2 on a good day. I squeezed him tight never wanting to let go. He turned around in my arms. I looked up at him, "I love you Chris." He smiled. "I love you too." He whispered leaning down to kiss me. "GET A ROOM!" Teddy yelled. That made Chris kiss me harder. When he pulled back we were both giggling. "Teddy don't be upset because you can't get a girlfriend." I said jokingly. "I CAN TOO!" Teddy yelled, "CHRIS REMEMBER WHEN I DATED BETTY MILLER?" Chris made a face, "Oh yeah, Teddy that was gross she was like thirty!" Chris almost fell over in laughter. "Hey she took care of me!" Teddy said with a smirk. "Oh sick!" I said. We all broke out into laugher. Teddy and Chris skinned hands then Chris and I were off to the tree house for lunch. When we got there Chris put the radio on. It was the tail end of "Help me, Rhonda" by the beach boys. I sang along to it. When the boss man Bob Cormire started talking Chris called my name. "Kandy, can you come over here for a second?" I walked over to him. He took one of my hands and pulled a tiny ring out of his shirt pocket. "Now," he said, "this isn't an engagement ring. But it is a promise ring... A promise that one day you will be engaged to me. A promise that one day we are gonna have it all together. So," he said getting down on one knee, "will you promise yourself to me?" I smiled that's what he wanted to asked me like his letter said. "Yes." I whispered with a smile. "GREAT!" He said slipping the ring on my finger. As he stood up and took me into his arms, "I got you babe" by Sonny and Cher started to play. "May I have this dance?" He said beginning to sing Sonny's parts. "You may." I said with a giggle taking his hand and singing Cher's part. We danced around the tree house giggling, kissing, and singing. We were so young, happy, and care free. But most of all... We were so in love.