Part Thirteen

As I laid down in my bed I could hear Chris walking down the stairs. "Well Chris," I heard my father say, "what are your plans after high school?" There was a pause. "Well sir, I was planning to go to college in California. But you see Kandy really means a lot to me and I can't leave her. So I don't know what I'm going to do now." "You do know she's only fourteen right?" Said my father. "Yes sir. I know, but I want to marry her someday." Said Chris.  "Is that your way of asking my permission?"
"No sir. It's my way of letting you know my intentions so you know I'm genuine." There was another moment of silence. "Well what are your intentions?"
"Sir I plan on taking care of your daughter. I understand she's a lot younger than me, but sir I'm in love with your daughter. And I know she's in love with me. I knew it from the moment we first talked. I intend on being her husband someday and making her the happiest girl ever." "Shit Christopher Chambers," I thought to myself, "you are a king... But you're gonna give my poor dad a heart attack."
"Chris," I heard my father say, "I think you're a great kid but I don't think you know the first thing about love or marriage."
"That's true sir. I don't. I'm just a
kid. But with all due respect sir you married your lovely wife at age 20... Kandy means everything to me." There was a silence. "May I pick her up tomorrow for a date?" Chris said.
"You may." I heard my dad say as the front door shut.