Part Eighteen

The next few months flew by and before we knew it, it was June. I had turned 15 in February which was exciting but not really. I was mostly just really ready to leave with Chris. The day before we planned to leave we met up with Gordie, Teddy, Vern, and Vern's girlfriend Donna in the tree house. Donna was pregnant. Who knew Vern would be the first to get a girl pregnant. We all sat around and told stories all night. It felt as if we were all kids, rather than being on the brink of adult hood. I had already had my stuff packed into Chris' car and left my parents a note. "Dear mom and dad, I'm going to California with Chris. I will be ok. I have Chris, Katie, James and Shane. Don't worry about me. I love you guys. Love, Kandy xoxo" tonight Chris and I had planed to stay in the tree house like we had so many other nights. After Gordie finished a story about lardass, one of the boys childhood favorites, Vern said, "Well Donna, I better get you home. It's getting late and your fathers already not too thrilled with us at the moment." We all shared a nervous but awkward chuckle. "VERN I NEED A RIDE!" Teddy yelled. "Quit yelling Teddy goddamnit!" Said Donna starting to cry as she climbed down the ladder. Chris and I looked at eachother. "Her emotions are crazy... Good luck in California guys. Chris don't get her pregnant... I'm warning you." Vern looked so sad and scared. He and Teddy climbed down the ladder. "Donna come back! No you can't walk home your father will kill me! Donna! Teddy will stop yelling! Awe shit Donna!" Gordie, Chris, and I exchanged glances. "Poor Vern." Gordie said. Chris nodded, "Poor kids got a hell of a ride ahead of him."
"That's why we are still virgins Chris." I said. We all laughed. "Is it cool if I crash here tonight with you guys?" Gordie asked, "Unless you plan on pulling a Vern and Donna." He said wiggling his eyebrows. "Grow up Gordon!" I said laughing. We all settled down and talked until we fell asleep. I woke up to Chris and Gordie whispering, "I'm scared Gordie." Chris said. "Why?"
"What if I can't take care of her? What if I fail as a husband and then she's young and trapped in California with me and doesn't really want to be there?" Chris said. He sounded near tears. "Chris it's going to be ok. She believes in you. I believe in you. You need to believe in yourself." I cuddled closer to him pretending to still be asleep. "Gimme some skin." I heard Chris say and heard their hands slide. "It's 6:30 am Chris. I better get home I have to work." Gordie paused, "I love you man... I'll see ya." "Not if I see you first." Chris said and they skinned hands again. I continued to pretend to be asleep as Chris settled back down. He pulled me close and kissed the top of my head. "I love you with all my heart." He whispered. Instinctively I whispered, "I love you too."