Part Two

I sat through that whole class not listening to a single word that Mr. Clark had said. The only thing I could think about was Chris. The whirl wind who had just taken my life by storm. Would he be my first kiss? My first boyfriend? My only boyfriend? At the time I wasn't sure. It was all so new and exciting. He was intriguing. I had never really liked anyone before. Chris I had just barely met and I was already thinking about what my life would be like with him. It seems crazy to me now that I thought that way and that I trusted him so quickly. I was a stupid young girl, but thank god I was. As the bell rang Mr. Clark called me up to his desk, "Kandy, may I speak with you a minute?" I walked over to his desk. "Take a seat." He motioned to a chair. "What are you doing hanging around with the likes of Chris Chambers?" He said in a concerned but snarky tone. "What do you mean sir?" He laughed at me, "I mean that you're a 4.0 student who is going places and that Chambers kid is a low life who will never get out of this town. He's going to be a deadbeat just like his father and brothers." He paused for a second. I averted my eyes. I couldn't look him in the eyes. "I know he may seem cool, mysterious, dangerous, hot, whatever you want to call it. But you see Chris Chambers is born to be a leaver. He wasn't taught how to love. If you except him to fall in love with you, you should forget it. He's just going to drag you down then break your heart." I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I kept my eyes downward starring at my hands on the desk. "Mr. Clark I've only just met him." "All the more reason to cut ties with him now." I felt more warm tears fall. I didn't know why I was crying as I said I had just met him. Maybe it was because he seemed so genuine and sincere and hearing an adult talk about him like that made me feel stupid. I wasn't sure at the time. I still am not quite sure what I felt in that moment. "I'll write you a pass to your next class." He said. I nodded my head. I started to think maybe the perfect boy I met that morning wasn't so perfect. I went through my next three classes in somewhat of a daze. I couldn't focus.