The Unwanted

Teremun wasn't sure what to do anymore. He couldn't find her. He'd sent a countless number of search parties and yet they'd still come up with nothing. No trail. No clue. No, her. No Amunet. 

Teremun felt his stomach tighten into knots. What if she'd been taken? What if she was resold into slavery? The Pharaoh had imaged over and over again her dancing in front of another noble with his greedy smile and lust filled eyes trained on her every move. He pictured them kissing her and touching her in a way that only he was allowed to. 

Teremun let out a scream of frustration as he tried to clear his mind. He shook his head fiercely trying to clear away the images along with a pounding headache that throbbed behind his temples. His hands itched to break something but most of the pottery and furniture in his room had already been shattered and splintered with past fits of rage. Teremun sunk low into his sea of cushions and drowned himself in liquor in hopes to clear his mind of the dancer who'd ensnared his every thought. 

The Pharaoh turned at the sound of a knock on his door that temporarily lifted the drunken haze falling over his eyes. He didn't even have a chance to invite the guest in before Ebonee was storming into his chambers with her hair billowing behind her like a flag. Teremun glared at his twin and downed another glass of wine before rising from his seat to meet her halfway across the room. 

"What do you want?" He slurred. Ebonee shot him a disgusted look and ripped the wine from his hands only to drink it herself. She made a sour face and looked at the cup and its content. 

"This is horrible," Ebonee muttered but she finished off the glass anyway. Teremun sighed and sank back down onto his multiple cushions while rolling his head back onto his neck. Ebonee stayed standing and instead looked out the large balcony that looked over the large expansive desert and their empire. The sky was lit a bloody red at the descending sun and a chilly wind blew through the palace. "Any clue on who the culprits were that attacked Ubaid and his men?"

Teremun sighed and shook his head.

"I've sent out several scouts and messengers to get reports from the villagers about the incident, but no one even remembers my cavalry passing through. It's almost as if the incident never happened." The Pharoah ran a hand through his hair and tried to ease the tension from his neck. Ever since Ubaid had returned from his search mission stuttering madness about skilled barbarians raiding and attacking them, the palace has been in an uproar to find the source and eliminate it. However, every inquisition had led to even more questions. It would seem that none of the Pharaoh's soldiers could recall what had actually happened in the village. The stories were repeatedly changed and no one could provide details such as hair or skin color. Ubaid had even been spouting none since that he'd been stabbed, yet no wound was present. Teremun ran a hand over his eyes and tried to reduce the stress that threatened to strangle him. 

Ebonee looked down at her brother and couldn't help but see the worry etched across his face. It was startling to see him so serious lately. The brother in her memories as a child was always laughing and messing around with both the slaves and the nobility and he rarely ever took anything remotely earnest. 

The childish boy eventually grew into a rather childish man who played with women like they were toys, taking turns choosing his favorites and discarding the ones he'd lost interest in, which was always rather quick. Once Teremun's twenties passed, though, he finally became Pharaoh after their father's untimely demise. It was around then that Ebonee started noticing changes in her brother. The multiple women disappeared and instead he took on three wives and refused any more marriage proposals. He was given an heir and a time of peace fell over his empire. 

Ebonee had been proud of her brother for maturing. For becoming a man respected and loved by his people. He'd changed a great deal since they were kids, but there had always been one thing that Ebonee never saw a difference in and that was his strength. Never had Ebonee ever seen her twin show weakness.

But that had all changed when Amunet arrived. 

Teremun's expressions were softer when looking at her and he was always so gentle when holding her. His voice was softer when speaking of her and a warmth filled his eyes when her name was said. It was so obvious he was in love. 

Ebonee had been furious upon learning such a thing but she'd grown to accept it. Amunet was just as strong as he was and willing to stand against everything for their love. Or at least that's what Ebonee had thought. 

The Amunet that had changed Teremun had also destroyed him. 

Ebonee wasn't sure what to say to him any longer and left the room without glancing back at him. They were both well aware more important matters hung in the air and yet the only thing important to Teremun at the moment was Amunet. 

Teremun's eyes glassed over slightly as Ebonee shut the door behind her. A strange ringing noise filled his ears and the pounding headache returned. For the first time in a long time, the Pharaoh actually wanted to cry. Even he hadn't realized the full extent of his feelings. How madly  in love with his dancer he was. Her leaving him had shattered him. Broken him. He wasn't sure how to function properly anymore. Every thought that he knew should be focused on his kingdom was spent worrying about Amunet and her safety. Every breath he breathed only for her and not his people. 

He was becoming a failure of a Pharaoh all because of one dancer with beautiful eyes. 

How desperately he desired to see her.  

"I can take you to her if you'd like," a voice suddenly said. Teremun shot from his seat and out of his thoughts to circle his room in search of the intruder. His eyes landed on a woman standing on his balcony with thick, dark, long hair billowing around her like she was under water. A thin and transparent veil covered her body and blew softly in the breeze. Her eyes seemed to glow black with the setting sun behind her that gave her a blood-red halo and illuminated her silhouette in orange. 

"Who are you?" Teremun asked as he reached for his sword hung at his waist. The beautiful woman smiled and took a few step towards him. It was almost as if she glided across the ground as she made her way to him. 

"There's no need for that," the woman said with a soft laugh lacing her voice. She extended her hand and touched the tip of his blade with her finger. Immediately, the sword shattered and turned to dust at Teremun's feet. The Pharoah backed away and began scanning the room for another weapon, but the woman lunged toward him grabbing his face between her hands and looking him directly in the eyes. "I can take you to your precious Amunet if you'd like."

Teremun studied the woman as he barely breathed. He didn't dare try to move an inch. His fear was temporarily subdued by Amunet's beautiful name that seemed to wrap around his heart. 

"Who are you?" Teremun asked again. The woman smiled mischievously and leaned closer to him.

"They call me Mut," she whispered before pressing her lips to his. Teremun tried to resist and shove against her, but almost instantly the world spun before going completely black.