The Arrival of the Guard

"You did well, Amunet," Msamaki said grinning as he counted his coins. Amunet said nothing as she lay near his chair and turned around the lavish room making eye contact with several other slaves. They didn't return her stare for long before returning to their shackles and staring at the wall. Msamaki reached his hand out and brushed a hand over Amunet's head and stroked her dark hair. Amunet turned to her master and inclined her head in thanks. Her hands sat folded in her lap and the only thing she wore was a gold necklace around her neck.

Msamaki was humming under his breath by the time someone knocked on his door. His head shot up excitedly and he ushered one of his slaves to hurry towards the door. Amunet felt her eyes widen as she watched a palace guard stroll into the room. His bare chest toned in bronze and his face set into a stern, hard frown. His eyes never drifted around the room and he hastily made his way to the feet of Msamaki. Msamaki appeared just as startled at the arrival and tried combing down his hair and tucking in his layers of fat.

"Welcome!" He said standing and throwing his arms wide. The guard never flinched and Msamaki quickly began to perspire at the intense gaze. "What can I do for you, sir?"

"I want your finest slave," he said with a deep and gruff voice. Msamaki smiled stiffly and nodded his head.

"All my slaves are quite the specimens. Is there any in particular that interest you?" Msamaki asked again his sweat sliding down the side of his face.

"I need the most beautiful slave you have. She must be the most talented as well," the guard asked his face still impassive and his eyes unmoving and locked on Amunet's master. Msamaki nodded and gestured for Amunet to stand. The girl obeyed and slid up next to her master silently and gracefully. He turned to her smiling.

"Amunet why don't you go and fetch Panya and Pili for me?" Amunet bowed her head and was about to turn and find her sisters in slavery before the guard's hand shot out and grabbed her wrist. Her eyes turned up to his and for a second the guard stood just staring at her face. He turned back to Msamaki who looked startled and uncomfortable.

"This one," the guard said loudly. His voice reverberated around the room and Msamaki seemed to shrink in its presence.

"I'm sorry, sir, but Amunet is only for those of the highest prestige. I'm afraid she's far too much for you to pay," Msamaki said rubbing his hands together. Amunet stood unsure of what to do. The guard's grip was still firm on her wrist and he redirected his gaze to Msamaki.

"I'm here obeying orders from Kamilah, the second wife to the late Pharaoh Horemheb. I will take this slave and pay you in full. She will not be returning." With that Amunet was dragged from the room by the guard. Msamaki stood stock still unsure of what to do. A panicked expression played on his face and he debated running after his most priced slave. He stopped suddenly though after a second guard entered the room with a chest full of coins. Msamaki's face split into a grin and his thoughts concerning Amunet disappeared just as quickly as she had.