21: Be Somebody

Jake's P.O.V.

I do my searches. I call up my connections. I pin point his exact location and drive there. Thirty minutes out of town at a cheap motel. Room 439. I'm coming.

The place is horrific. Hell, someone could shoot a horror film here with their phone and win an award it's so creepy here. It's one of those place that has it's own atmosphere of the aroma of alcohol and cigarettes. It's so bad, it makes my car look innocent. That says a lot.

I walk up the rotting steps, passing rooms that no doubt inhabits convicts and porn-stars. I find the room, knock on the door, and within moments the tall, tanned, balding man that is Sia's father stands before me.

"Darren Miscoff?" I question just to make sure. He nods with a small twitch of confusion in his eyebrow and a kind smile plastered in his face. I punch him.

He's taken aback at first, but his confusion quickly turns to rage. He charges at me- so damned predictable- and I step out of the way, slamming the door behind me so we are alone in this in closed room that is scattered with empty beer bottles. He charges again, and this time I allow him to slam me down. If you allow your enemy to believe they have an advantage, you can turn that false advantage into a disadvantage. I learned this back when I was caught up in a gang. A gang Sierra saved me from.

At the thought of her I grow completely angry and the adrenaline pulses through my veins. I use all my strength to flip us over so I am on top of him, and I begin to repeatedly ram my fists into his face. The blood that dribbles from his nose and bottom lip only increase my rage. I grab hold of the little bit of hair he has left and slam his head into the carpeted flooring over and over and over. In that moment I become a savage. No better than him. The anger that was there to protect Sia turns to the anger I've had built up for months now. I lose myself momentarily, but catch myself with the bottle in my hand just before I shatter it into him. Don't let your mind clutter. Sia's voice pumps through my head and I drop the bottle before I do the damage. I swallow back the tears as I stand. I hear him wheeze out "You should have finished it, son. Put me out of my misory."

I turn to him then, and take a slow breath before I say with the coldest voice I can pursue. "You deserve to live with what you did. If anyone asks, you fell down the steps. Otherwise everyone will know what you've done." I open the door to leave, but just before I do I say to him "And you will never do that to her again."

As I drive off, I send her a message.

He will never do it again. Today, you can finally be Somebody.

I don't expect a reply. I don't expect anything. I just drive for a while and consider what might have happened if I would have used that bottle. I can't help but wonder how far I would have went if it weren't for Sierra's voice forever tattooed in my head. I probably would have killed him. The scary part is, a piece of me actually wanted to.

As I drive street after street, I decide to finally have a destination. I take the turn toward the interstate and I head as far away from here as this shitty car can take me because for the first time I realize that I have to be Somebody to do something worth doing, and before I can be Somebody I have to know who I am.

Sierra has always known who she is. Everything she has ever done was worth doing in her eyes. She is the most aware person I know. The most beautiful, smart, loving person I have ever met. No, she is not perfect, but as I drive out of this sleepy Mississippi town I send her one last message to make her aware of my realization.

Sierra Paige, You have always been Somebody.

______~|~
(Sorry for the short chapter) The phrase "Someday You will be Somebody" is a phrase I have constantly told myself. In this chapter; Jake realizes how lost he has become, and decides he wants to be Somebody just like Sierra. He longs to do something worth doing. He now must figure out who he is so he can do just that. Vote, comment, tell me what you think. I love you my darklings.