Halloween And A Special Announcement.

{updated}

Friday after class was spent by Lainey and myself cooped up inside our dorm, the rain against glass and my record of The Smiths our soundtrack for the day. The both of us were situated on my bed, while the fire burning in the free standing fire place sat in the center of the room, radiating an ardent, orange glow of light. We had our curtains drawn closed, due to Lainey's request, as 'looking at rain made her sad'. The only pro I found to drawn curtains was that the glow of the fire was more intense, and the orange light alone made me feel warm.

Halloween was fast approaching, which meant the annual Gryffindor Halloween party was right around the corner, and it was finally time for us 4th years to attend. Every year below 4th weren't granted permission by the older students who organised the annual event, as younger students meant liability. Strictly speaking the party wasn't allowed, as no one had ever asked Dumbledore or McGonogal for permission, and we were sure it went against rules, but it was something we never failed to hold. Perhaps it was this party that proved we had all rightfully been placed in Gryffindor. According to Gryffindor lore, the underground party had been around for 15 years now, though none of us could be quite sure how reliable that information was.
"Lainey, what are you coming as for the Halloween party?" I asked, looking up from my book, as I lay on my bed. She looked down at me, as she sat just beside my head, reading the Daily Prophet.

"Haven't really given it much thought, I suppose." She shrugged, "What are you going as?" she asked me now and I sighed, closing my book with a 'humph'.

"I have no idea," I told her, though the one single detail I did know, was that I needed it to be perfect if I wanted Fred to notice me.

"Well..." she began as she stood up, "Let's go shopping." she said, enthusiastically holding out her hands for me to take. "Come on, we have," she looked at her watch, "10 minutes to get down there before the group leaves for Hogsmeade, and we're doing nothing now." She reasoned and I debated whether getting on my coat and running through the school was worth it, but the eager smile on Lainey's face made me sigh.

"Oh alright," I rolled my eyes as I stood up, and she jumped up and down with excitement as we both now rushed to put on our coats, sort our money and make it in time to catch up with the small group of students who decided it was a good idea to venture to Hogsmeade in the pouring rain. A black umbrella held above the two of us, Lainey and I walked at the back of the group, chatting excitedly about the party, as we slowly got one step closer to being organised.

The moments between leaving the school grounds and reaching the actual town seemed to drag on forever, as we struggled against the wind and the rain. Walking into the first shop, we flicked through the racks of clothes, pulling out whatever outfit we liked out. The shop was mixed with a variety of wizarding and muggle clothes, and by doing so, they raked in more money from visiting students. We both went into the changing rooms, going through the motions of trial and error, and from outside our stalls one could hear us muttering to ourselves. 'Too short',  was one statement grumbled from the both of us, 'what am I in, the 70's?' was a complaint that fell out of my mouth as I observed another costume. 'Ugh, I look like a cracked out McGonogal!' I heard Lainey exclaim and I laughed as I tried on the second last outfit I had picked out through mixing and matching items. "I've found it!" I exclaimed excitedly, banging on the wall that separated Lainey and I, and I stepped out as I waited for her to pop out. Striking a pose as her door opened, I smiled, but then my smile turned to a grin when Lainey emerged wearing near the same outfit. "Oh please wear that so we can match!" I pleaded, jumping out of my pose as I joined Lainey in her stall, and we looked at our outfits in the mirror.