42

_____

"Momma how you getting around"

August asked as he signed his name on the sign in sheet.

"Im gettin' around jus' fine, this chair is something to work with until I get my feeling back, thanks to you I have faith"

Sheila smiled. August imprinted in her mind that God will always come through, which now she believes. The doctors couldnt tell her nothing now. Being permanently paralyzed is not in her vocabulary. The physical therapist she is working with now is making sure of it.

"You know I gotcha momma, but say look imma hit ya' back I love you talk to you lata' "

August ended the call after his mama told him she loved him and she would call him later.

He sat in the waiting room awaiting for his name to be called. Nobody knew he was in New Orleans and he wanted to keep it that way. He forgot he had one more thing to handle until he got a call yesterday.

A call he knew would give him answers, so he hopped on the first flight to New Orleans.

His name was called and he was escorted into this room full of tables and elderly people. Suprised that the nursing home facility didnt smell like piss and shit, he stopped at the table with the number 4 on it.

There sat a elderly man around the age of 50 with his hands over his face. August cleared his throat to get his attention making him look up.

Sr managed to put a smile on his face, a smile he havent smiled in many years. He thought of getting up and embracing August into a hug, but he didnt want to overstep his boundaries.

"August" he smiled gesturin to the seat before him.

"August" August replied back, mockin him not being disrespectful but he wasnt finna call him pops or dad, if thats aint what he knew him as.

Sr understood August reasoning for calling him by his first name with him having to explain.

"You look just like ya' mother, but instead you have my complexion and eyes" Sr chuckled.

Not receiving one back, he clearly his throat as if he was clearing the awkwardness.

"Can we just get to the point?" August asked.

Sr nodded, remembering the questions August asked him over the phone. The questions he wanted to answer in person.

"I left because, I was tired of trying to fight for her and you ofcourse. I came over almost every night, trynna spend time with you but her or one of the men she had at the house ran me away." Sr explained.

"How the hell you get tired of fighting for ya' son, fuck her im your son" August asked. He loved his mama dont get him wrong but, in this situation he was more important in his eyes.

"August I love you I do son, but I couldnt risk my life anymore, I wanted to atleast be alive when I was able to see you again...the main reason I stopped coming around is because of James, all the other men Sheila had never threatened my life as much as him, it got so bad to the point where he actually pulled his gun out"

"He pussy he woulda neva pulled the trigga" August said.

Sr chuckled.
"I thought that too" he shook his head. "But he actually did shoot at me causing me to shook back once I was in reach of my gun, Sheila calles the cops and blamed the whole situation on me causing me to get 5 years for a unregistered gun...after I served them years I found out she had a restraining order against me"

August took in everything his 'father' was saying. He knew it was the truth since it was no reason to lie but he wanted to why he choose to contact him.

"Look if ya' looking for a hand out, just let me know nah, cuz I aint with it but if y-"

"Im actually gettin' my death wish" Sr stating nonchalantly. "I wished to actually get to see and spend time with my som before I die, I was diagnosed with a brain mask, which coukd turn into a tumor at anytime"

August put his head down in shame.

"Im sorry to hea' that"

August knew then, he had to be here for his father. He longed a father figure so long and now that he have one he dont want it stripped away from him. He's gonna cherish every moment with Sr.

"Can I ask why you here" August askes referring to the facility.

" I needed better care, I didnt have anyone to take care of me, all my family is either dead or gone somewhere living their dreams and your my only child so I couldnt call my children to help" Sr said.

"Iight how bout this I move you into your own place when I get it and provide you with your own nurse"

"No, no, I dont want nothing but your love and presence, beside I've grown to love it here...they treat me like family" He smiled.

_____