Chapter 49

"I could fly a thousand oceans,
but there's nothing that compares to
what we had and so I walk alone."

-

Michael's P.O.V.

I walked down the road, looking around. Ashley, where are you...? I took out my phone and tried to call her again, but as expected, it went to her voicemail.

Ashley's P.O.V.

"What's that noise?" I asked, hearing some type of vibrating.

"Oh, nothing, it's just my phone" Calum said, quickly reaching into his pocket and hitting the end button. I knit my eyebrows.

"Aren't you gonna check that?"

"Nah" he replied quickly. "Um, doesn't matter. I wanna help you get your mind off of Michael."

I decided to drop the subject but I sighed. Why didn't Michael just break up with me? I'd be able to handle it better if he got straight to the point. Instead, he tried to make me look like the bad one.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Michael is actually that shallow. How could he do this to me?

I guess it's for our own good, though. It's been years, and considering the fact I was able to get over him after all that time, I should have no problem doing it again..like he said at the cabin...

Just stop thinking about him. Stop.

"Do you wanna go to the carnival?" Calum asked, pointing to it.

"Carnival?" I asked, chuckling and raising an eyebrow. "Two 23 year olds at a carnival?" He shrugged, his cheeks heating up.

"It's just right here, I guess I figured, maybe you'd wanna go...I don't know, sorry..." He rambled.

"No, I wanna go" I said, smiling at him. He smiled back and we entered the carnival.

"I'll pay for it" he said.

"Oh, you don't have to-"

"I want to" he cut off, pulling out his wallet. He payed for both of us and threw an arm around me. I let it stay, because it gave me a sense of comfort for some reason.

"What do you want to do first?" He asked. "Farris wheel?"

"I'm kinda scared of heights..." I mumbled.

"Aw, that's cute" he said, smiling.

"No, it's embarrassing" I replied.

"Well c'mon. We'll get you over this fear."

We both got on the Farris Wheel and the fear welled up inside me. As it slowly went up, I quickly grabbed Calum's hand. He chuckled at me and I hid my face in his shirt.

"You're laughing at my suffering" I said.

"No I'm not" he replied, biting down on his lip and cracking a smile. He pulled me closer to him, holding onto my hand and keeping his arm around me.

The Farris Wheel finally reached the top after a few minutes and stayed like that for a while as I squealed into Calum's shirt. His laughter rang throughout my ears and I punched him in the stomach, causing him to laugh harder.

I know I shouldn't be thinking this, but he's really adorable when he's laughing like this.

It seems stupid to be 23 and this scared, but I've always been scared of heights in general.

We finally reached the bottom and I took a sigh of relief once we climbed off. He tried to put his arm around me again but I playfully pushed it off.

"Aw, don't be like that" he said, trying to do it again.

"You laugh at my pain" I said.

"Hey, we're all scared of something" he teased, grinning again. While I was looking at him, I had crashed into a side table. Calum caught me before I fell, holding me there.

I looked up into his eyes. His face inched closer to mine and before I knew it, his lips were attached to mine.

I know my heart is supposed to be racing. I'm supposed to be getting butterflies. But truthfully, I felt nothing. Literally, nothing at all. No matter how hard I tried, that kiss meant nothing to me. And the problem is, I'm comparing it to Michael's kisses.

Michael's kisses make my heart race. Make my legs go weak. It feels like the entire world just stops, and we're the only ones there.

This just doesn't feel right.

Calum and I pulled apart, and he seemed to search my eyes. I closed my eyes and took a sharp breath in.

"Um.." Calum said. "I...I didn't-"

"It's fine" I replied, cutting him off. "I just need to think."

"You're leaving?" He said. "Why?"

"My head is everywhere right now, Calum. Sorry, I need to think."

"Oh..." He trailed off.

"Like I said, sorry..."

"Don't worry about it" he replied, plastering a fake smile. I shoved my hands into my pockets awkwardly, walking away.

I truly do wish I'd felt something during that kiss. I had such a good time with Calum, and I thought I was developing feelings for him..well, in all honesty, I think I still am...but the only thing that kiss did was make the situation worse, because I had to compare it to Michael.

I contemplated going back to the cabin to see what's going on with Michael and I, but I wasn't sure. I don't wanna get into another fight of some sort.

I decided I'd just walk into the nearest bar to clear my head.

But as soon as I did, I'd made a mistake.

Michael sat there with 4 skanks surrounding him.

-

I just saw that this fanfic has over 100k reads & just..holy shit, that's amazing. :) expect another update tomorrow.