Chapter 24

-One Week Later-

I sat on the bed, flipping through a magazine, when there was a knock on the door. I flung it open, surprised to see Calum. I looked at the time and it read 11:05pm.

"Um...hi?" I said.

"Can I please come in?" He asked, tears rushing down his cheeks.

"Y-yeah..." I trailed off, confused.

"Where's Michael?" He asked.

"He had to go back to his parents' house for about an hour to run some errands...what are you doing here?"

"I don't know, I'm confused and I'm lost and I don't know what to do" he said, more tears rushing out.

"Calum...you have to tell me what's going on or I can't help you..." I frowned.

"I j-just..she died, she's gone.."

"Who?"

"My g-grandma..." He mumbled, collapsing onto my bed.

"Calum" I whispered softly. "Calum, it's okay." I walked beside him and wrapped my arms around him, rubbing his back. He cried into my shoulder. I sighed, generally feeling his pain.

"She's never coming back" he whispered, burying his head into his hands.

"I know, I know. Everything will be okay, Calum. You'll get through this..I promise."

"She was the only one in my family that loved me..." He mumbled, tears still coming out. I frowned, feeling for him. I wrapped my arms around him again as he cried, when suddenly the cabin door flew open. I looked up and saw Michael standing there, his mouth wide open in shock.

"Michael..." I started.

"What the hell?!" He exclaimed, crossing his arms.

"Michael, h-"

"Don't give me the same old shit" he spat, grabbing his hoodie. Calum began to stand up.

"I'll j-just leave.."

"No, Calum. Don't leave" I said, shooting Michael a look. Michael's chest rose and fell rapidly.

"We're through." I felt my heart drop and break into a million pieces as Michael ran out of the cabin. I felt the tears practically fly out of my eyes.

"I-I'm gonna go.." Calum trailed off, awkwardly. I watched him leave as I crawled under the covers, tears staining the pillow. Are we actually through? No. We can't be.

But this is for the best. Michael doesn't trust me and I don't see how I can be with him if he can't trust me. I continued to cry as I heard rain begin to pound the roof of the cabin. My head started to spin and I passed out.

-

The next morning, I woke up and expected to feel Michael's arms wrapped around me, but they weren't. The events from last night ran through my mind and I felt my heart drop. Why didn't Michael come back like he usually does? Are we actually through? I stumbled to the bathroom and combed through my hair, brushing my teeth and not bothering to change clothes. I couldn't ignore the undying pain in my chest. The door opened and I looked up with the hope it would be Michael, but it was Jessica. I sighed and blinked back tears. She looked at me confused.

"What's wrong? Where's Michael?"

"W-we broke up" I stuttered, finding it hard to believe the words even left my lips. She put a hand over her mouth and rushed over to me, hugging me as I tried really hard not to cry.

"Why?"

"Calum's grandma died so he came over and I comforted him and Michael walked in, seeing us..so he left me.." I trailed off.

"What the hell? And he didn't let you explain the situation?"

"No" I replied, putting my head in my hands.

"He's a jerk" she mumbled. "I'll talk to him, okay? But for now, please don't be so depressed.." She frowned. I shook my head and rested my head on my knees. "Everything will be okay."

"I really doubt that" I replied, sighing.

-ONE WEEK LATER-

Me and Michael haven't talked for a whole week.

I haven't left the cabin at all except to go to the store with Jessica, but that's literally it. The fact Michael hasn't tried to come to the cabin to say sorry breaks my heart. Everyday I look up at the door in the hopes he'll come rushing through it, pressing his lips against mine. I miss his lips so much...

"Sweetie" Jessica said, frowning at my state. I didn't bother to even comb my hair this morning. "Come to the beach...you need to leave the cabin."

"No" I mumbled.

"Ash, stop moping around" she said, walking up to me and wrapping an arm around me. "You need to show Michael that you're over him."

"But I'm not. At all."

"Do you want him to think that?" She asked. I knit my eyebrows.

"No. I don't."

"Then let's go" she said, smiling. I dragged myself up and put my bikini on, combing through my hair. I lazily grabbed a towel. "Okay, you at least have to act happy."

I plastered a fake smile and we both walked onto the beach. When we got there, I didn't see Michael. I set the towel down and lay on it, closing my eyes and ignoring everything.

"Ashley" Jessica whined, kicking at me.

"What?" I mumbled.

"You can't just lay there. Come on." I looked up at her with narrowed eyes and stood up. She grabbed my arm and we stepped into the ocean. I bit down hard on my lip as I remembered the time we came out here late at night into the ocean. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, kicking the water around. I heard laughter, looking up and feeling my heart break. Michael and another girl. I looked away quickly and felt tears begin to burn my cheeks.

"Ashley..?" Jessica said. I tried to ignore it, but pain overcame me. I slowly began to walk away from them, when I heard Jessica talking to Michael. "Listen, you and I both know you still like Ashley, so you better sure as hell get her back because she can't get over you."

"Ha, are you serious? She means nothing to me anymore." I felt my breathing hitch in my throat.

"What the hell Michael?!" Jessica exclaimed.

"You heard me. I don't care about her or anything she does. The fact she's still sad about this amuses me."

That was enough. I ran out of the ocean, crying. I ran to the cabin, quickly changing. Minutes later, Jessica rushed in.

"What are you doing?!"

"I'm going home" I grumbled, sliding my phone into my pocket and making my way towards the door.

"But you don't have your bag?"

"I don't care. And make sure you tell Michael I NEVER wanna see him again." I ran out of the cabin, ignoring Jessica's cries. I hopped into my car and sped away. I'm not going home, but I don't know where I'm going. I decided the field would be an appropriate place. So I sped the car to the path that led to the field, driving down it. I got to the end of it and jumped out of my car, running onto the field and collapsing in the middle, my heart hurting.

I haven't been dating Michael for a long time at all. But I truly do believe I'm in love with him. I hate to admit it, but I am. The stuff he said back there are gonna stick with me forever, and they're never gonna leave my mind. Michael used me, and I knew it would happen.

Then, it hit like a bus.

Michael DID use me. He really doesn't care about me. Why does this always happen? I fall for a guy, and he never actually likes me. Am I really that horrible? Am I ugly? What is it about me?

I'm worthless. I'm horrible and flat out worthless. Nobody cares about me; nobody at all. If they say they do, I know they're lying. Maybe I should kill myself.

I felt my heart begin to race. I should kill myself. I began to breathe heavy as I searched for anything I could use as pain. I rushed to my car and my head began to spin as I searched my car, finding some left over beer. I opened them one by one, chugging them down. I got extremely drunk and broke tons of the bottles, cutting myself with them. I smiled and laughed at the pain, wanting more. Wanting to end all the suffering and just leave this Earth for good.

I fell to my knees and crawled on the ground, searching for him.

"Michael!" I yelled. I looked around. Where is he? "Michael!" I yelled again, crawling. "I love you, come back" I said, laying on the field. My head spun, when a big flash of lights blinded me.