Chapter 5

"I want to know everything" he said. I thought.

"Okay, well...my full name is Ashley Taylor Johnson. I'm 17 and I'm an only child. I live here in Cali with my mom because my dad died from cancer.... I don't really know what else to say" I said.

"Sorry to hear about your dad" he said quietly. "And well I'm Michael Gordon Clifford...I'm 17 as well. I'm from Australia and I moved to California because of my parents stupid job or something. I miss home...." He mumbled. I nodded in understanding. He sighed. "So what are your favorite things?" He asked. "Like, tv show, song, band..." He trailed off.

I told him about how Blink 182 is my favorite band and they happened to be his too. We ended up having more in common then I thought. But that doesn't change anything because I still refuse to fall under his spell. We're just friends, nothing more. And we'll never be anything more. After a while, I found myself yawning.

"I'm going to bed" I mumbled, flipping over and closing my eyes.

"Nooooo" he whined. He pulled me against his chest and I tried to pull away. "Do you not like me?" He asked as I got away.

"I do, I'm just not...comfortable" I said, awkwardly. Michael narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot, you're with Calum." He stood up and grabbed his hoodie.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"I'm leaving. You don't want me here" he mumbled, walking out the door. I felt my heart sink. Did I hurt his feelings? I frowned, crawling under the covers. But all I dreamt about that night was Michael.

-

The next morning, I stretched and looked at the clock. 10:12 in the morning. I sighed, standing up and seeing Jessica who was still fast asleep. I chuckled but I decided to go for a walk on the beach. I stepped out and walked on the sand, along the waves. I didn't think anyone would be awake until Calum ran up to me.

"Hey" he said, grinning.

"Hey Cal" I replied, poking him in the stomach. He wrapped an arm around me and my cheeks heated up.

"Pretty day today" he commented. I nodded in agreement. "Are you going swimming with us later?" He asked. I hesitated. "Pleeeease?" He begged. "I'll keep you on my back."

"I guess I will" I said. He cheered and lifted me off the ground. I giggled and kicked as he threw me over his shoulder. I clung my hands to the back of his shirt as he ran around the beach with me. But of course, when I lifted my head up all I could see was Michael off in the distance, staring at us. I pretended like he wasn't there and laughed along with Calum. He finally put me down and pulled me in for a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder and he planted a small kiss on my lips, making me grin like an idiot. But I looked over and Michael wasn't there anymore. I felt a pang in my heart. What if he's mad at me?

Wait, why am I so worried about him?

"Ashley, I've been meaning to ask you a question...I know we only met the other day, but will you be my girlfriend?" His cheeks turned red and I smiled big.

"Of course, Cal." He smiled and kissed me on the cheek. Maybe now Michael will leave me alone....

Later that day, we headed to the beach. I got on Calum's back as he swam out to where our group was. Ashton had been in the middle of telling me a funny story about him and Calum, when I saw Michael kissing a different blonde girl. I felt my anger heat up but tried to listen to Ashton.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah...yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

"Um...I don't know, you keep staring at Michael for one thing" Ashton replied.

"I'm not staring at him" I snapped, feeling bad after. "I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to sound mean" I added.

"It's fine" he replied, awkwardly. "So does Cal know about your crush on Michael?" He teased. I punched him on the shoulder.

"I don't have a crush on him!" I exclaimed. He chuckled.

"Okay, calm down" he said, raising his arms in defense. I sighed, running a hand through my hair as I saw Michael smiling and laughing with the girl. I swallowed the huge lump in my throat.

"I...I think I'm gonna go" I mumbled. He gave me a confused look.

"What? Why?" He asked.

"Don't feel well" I said, giving him a small, fake smile. "Tell Calum that."

"Okay..." He mumbled.

I swam back to shore and tried not to let the tears spill out. I don't know why, but it hurts me to know Michael is being generally happy with another girl. And I hate this feeling. I barely know Michael and I don't even like him, so why do I feel like this? I tried to push away the feeling but I looked back at him and he stole a stare at me, before turning away and wrapping his arms around the blonde. I ran to the cabin, jumping into the shower and letting the water drown out my thoughts about Michael. I stepped out and just as I prepared to put my clothes on, there was a knock on the bathroom door.

"Ashley?" Jessica asked. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Couldn't be better" I replied, letting out a small sigh.

"Okay, well Calum wants to take you out to dinner. He wanted me to ask for him because he's nervous." I smiled. Forget Michael.

"I'd love to. I'll text him" I replied. I decided to get ready. I threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a Rolling Stones shirt. Casual, but not too casual. I put my red vans on and did my make-up completely natural. I stepped out.

"Someone's looking good" Jessica commented, smirking. I rolled my eyes.

I texted Calum and he told me he'd pick me up around 7:30, which is in half an hour. We're going to a seafood restaurant. I watched tv with Jessica until Calum showed up.

"You're beautiful" he said, smiling at my appearance. I smiled back.

"You don't look half bad yourself" I replied.

We both got into his car and he drove. Once we got there, he pulled my chair out for me. I ordered shrimp and he ordered crab legs. We talked for a while, that is until...Michael and the blonde showed up.