Owner of a Lonely Heart

Start from the beginning

"Preachin' to the choir." Meredith agreed. "I'm over men."

"Real nice." George shook his head. "You know, a dog is not a replacement for a human being."

"You guys better wake her up." Alex nodded at where Izzie was asleep on the floor, leaning against the lockers. "If Bailey catches her sleeping, she's dead."

"Izzie." Cristina kicked the sleeping blonde. "Izzie."

"What?" Izzie snapped at her, awake.

"Hell hath no fury like a girl whose non-boyfriend screws a nurse." Cristina joked.

"Bitch." Izzie and I both glared at the other woman.

"I like you two bitter and pissed off." Cristina smiled at us. "You're almost like normal people now."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Okay, what do we got?" Bailey asked as she led all of us into a patient's room on rounds later that morning.

"Uh, Karl Murphy, fifty-two. Multiple skin melanomas." George presented. "Underwent reconstructive surgery to his nose, his right ear, as well as a skin graft to the left index finger."

"How's the capillary refill?" Bailey asked.

"It's slow." George told her. "About four seconds."

"What do you recommend to get that blood moving again, Dr. O'Malley?" Bailey raised a brow at him.

"At this stage, our best option is probably a biotherapeutic agent." George suggested.

"What is that?" Mr. Murphy asked.

"We put leeches on your face." George put it simply.

"Leeches?" Mr. Murphy chuckled. "Huh, you don't say?"

"The secrete blood thinners that help break up pooled blood so it can be evacuated." Bailey explained to him. "It's sort of like a big drain. Look, if this makes you uncomfortable-"

"No, no, no." Mr. Murphy shook his head. "I've been a hiker for forty years. Almost forty years, yeah. And mother nature hasn't come up with anything yet I haven't found a reason to love."

"You a big outdoorsman?" Bailey smiled at him.

"How do you think I got all these melanomas in the first place?" He nodded.  With everything settled with Mr. Murphy Bailey led all of us out of his room and thorough the halls, to the next patient we had to round on. 

"Oh, Dr. Shepherd, you're in early." Bailey looked surprised at the sight of Derek already there and looking over his patient. "If you'd like us to come back-"

"No, go ahead." Derek shook his head.

"Robert Martin, forty-five." Meredith presented this time. "Collapsed and hit his head, which caused a small subdural hemorrhage."

"That was the problem." Derek cut it, sending a sharp look Alex's way. 

"Mr. Martin was found to have a rethke's cleft cyst on his pituitary, and surgery was postponed when..."Meredith trailed off.

"When I told a nurse-" Alex began to take over.

"Olivia." Izzie muttered.

"When I told a nurse to administer an incorrect dosage of hypertonic saline." Alex explained, taking the blame. 

"Essentially dehydrating Mr. Martin's brain." Derek said. 

"He still has a chance." Alex pointed out. "He could wake up and be fine."