Into You Like a Train

Start from the beginning

"Me neither, I'm not tired either." George agreed. 

"We've got a third-trimester burn victim here." Addison told us. "Dr. Bailey, I'm going to need some help."

"Uh, Izzie, go." Bailey told the blonde, sending her off with Addison. As Cristina, George, and I were left standing there, waiting for our own assignments we saw Derek walk into the OR, still in his street clothes as he looked at Meredith before being called over by another doctor.

"Does that mean he picked her?" George asked us.

"If it does, I just lost fifty bucks." Cristina muttered. 

"Got the leg!" A paramedic yelled as he burst into the ER with a severed leg in his hand.

"I want that leg." Cristina's eyes widened at the sight of it.

"Dr. Bailey, who you got?" Webber asked as he came into the ER with paramedics, walking alongside the stretcher they were pushing.

"Cristina, go." Bailey told her. We watched as Cristina took the man with the severed leg away to get him looked over before surgery, Webber and Derek both following after her. As he went though, Derek passed by Meredith, giving her a small nod.

"Was that a nod?" George asked our drunken friend.

"Yes." She nodded. 

"Do we know what it meant?" I asked.

"No." She said. 

"Are we invisible?" George asked me as we looked around the busy ER, still not having been assigned patients. My eyes widened though as I saw a man and woman being brought in on the same stretcher, both sitting up right and facing the other as a metal pole stuck through their backs. 

"Oh, my God." I whispered as George and I both followed the pair into a trauma room, Meredith following us. 

"Is this the craziest thing you've ever seen?" The woman asked Meredith when she got closer to look at them. 

"Uh, yeah." Meredith nodded.

"Yeah. Me too." The woman smiled as Meredith hurried away, not wanting to have to face Bailey. 

"I'm Dr. Watley, but you can both call me Bethany." I told the two patients. 

"I'm Tom." The man introduced himself.

"Bonnie." The woman told me her name, her eyes trained on something else though. "Excuse me."

"Hi, I'm Dr. Burke." Burke introduced himself as he and Bailey made their way into the trauma room, done talking to the paramedics. "You shouldn't turn your head. You want to try to move as little as possible."

"Oh, okay." Bonnie said. "So are you gonna pull this pole out of us anytime soon?"

"It's a touch uncomfortable." Tom told us. 

"I'm sorry. We can't do that until we get a better look at what's going on internally." Burke shook his head. "But I assure you, we will work as quickly as possible."

"Well, in that case, does anybody have a breath mint?" Bonnie asked. "For me. Not for you."

"O'Malley and Watley, get them to X-ray." Bailey told us. "Move them extremely carefully."

"Okay." I nodded as George and I began to help the nurses take the pair down to X-ray. "Is there anyone either of you would like me to call?"

"No, they called my wife from the ambulance." Tom told us. 

"And my fiancé." Bonnie agreed. "They're flying down from Vancouver together."

"Normally Amanda would be a tad upset to find me pressed up against another woman." Tom joked. "But in this case, I think I'll get a pass."