38.

Devronica in MM

Devronica

I watched as August played with his fingers. He must've been nervous because that's the only time he does that. I placed my hand over his to make him stop. "My bad," he said, looking up at me with that smile I fell in love with years ago. I couldn't deny that after all these years, I still loved this man .

I loved him so much even though he brought so much hurt into my life. We had so many good times and it overrode the bad times. He was still fine, and looked even better than he did before. "It's cool, I get that you're nervous."

He raised a brow at me. "So, I see you finally using yo accent. It's cute."

"Thank you. Your accent has changed," I said, not planning to go into detail how. His accent had gotten thick and his voice had gotten deeper.

He looked at me closely as if he was studying my face. The smile on his face had turned into a frown. "Roni, is that a bruise?"

I quickly covered my face and turned away. "What are you talking about?"

He got up and came around to the side I was turned to. He removed my hand from my face and wiped the makeup away. "Roni, what the fuck? What happened?"

I covered my face again. I didn't want August to know what had been happening these past years. "Nothing, I'm fine. I just fell down the stairs."

"Lyin' ass. What happened? You don't have ta be afraid ta tell me."

"I can't. He'll hurt me if he finds out I told someone," I said.

"Jose? He did this shit ta you?"

I nodded as tears filled the brim of my eyes. I didn't want anyone to know but, August saw right through me. "You still with that nigga?"

"Yeah. He has a disorder."

"That don't give him the right ta put his hands on ya," he said, with sincerity in his eyes.

I broke down and August pulled me into him. "I wanna help you. Don't you have kids? They don't need ta see that typa shit. Look at you ma, you broken."

He was right, I was broken and didn't know who to turn to. I couldn't just get up and fly to New York since my parents and Jasmine lived there. Jose would find me. "I don't know what to do August."

"Well lemme help you. Hea, take my number and hit me up anytime you need me. I really wanna help you," he said, putting his number in my phone.

"Thank you."

"And if I see another mark on yo body, his ass is grass," he whispered in my ear.
*******

August

I stepped inside the house to be greeted by Taylor with ha hands on ha hips. I already kno she about ta come at me with a attitude. "Where have you been?" she asked, causin' me ta laugh.

"Daddy was makin' grocery. Where ya sista at?"

"In the kitchen with Auntie Aaliyah. Did you bring candy?"

"Yeah, hea ya go," I said, handin' ha some skittles.

I walked into the kitchen and kissed Jala on the cheek. "Ew, don't be kissing on me."

"Guh, go put on some clothes," I said.