Chapter 37

LATER.

It's been over a year since Sherlock... Since he left. I haven't been keeping track of time though. I mean, why do I need to? Lately, I've been working on my own cases.

I've tried to stay away from his brother or people who knew him. They like to bring up the past. It's not the best to do when you're trying to forget it.

***

I look at the man. He looks down to my chest area.

"Eyes are up here," I snap.

"You mean, you're not interested in me?" the man fake pouts.

"Correct. Let's continue," I start, "Did you kill her?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Why would I kill my damn wife?" The man yells.

"I don't know," I start in a lie. "You tell me."

We sit in silence for a moment.

"I believe you... Now, tell me who did."

***

I walk up to his ex-wife's house. I ring the doorbell. I wait until the door is opened.

"Oh thank god," I fake. "I was mugged... M-my money is gone. I was attacked," I fake cry.

"Oh lord. Are you alright? Come in," his ex-wife says. I smile before walking in. I follow her to what must be her living room. I walk past a wall that is filled with old, late middle aged weapons.

"Thank you so much," I say before looking down at her folded hands.

Bruised.

I look closer at her.

"Yeah... I was talking to Trevor Martin when I was mugged. Do you know him?" I bring up her ex.

"Uhh, yes. I do. I'm his ex-wife actually," she mumbles.

She had 'seen' him recently.

"I see..." I mumble. Then a man in a towel walks down from the stairs. I look up. "Hello..."

"Oh, this is my husband," he introduced us.

She's had an affair.
Murderer?

I look back at her knuckles.

"Kick boxing?" I question.

"Excuse me?"

"Do you kick box? Your hands are-" she cuts me off.

"Yes, yes, I do," she rushes into a lie.

"You seem nervous?"

"What?" She questions as her husband walks back up the stairs.

"Why are you nervous? Is it about the murder of Stacey Kemmel?" I ask.

"What?"

"Don't play stupid. You murdered her."

"What on earth- No! I did not," she snaps. "I would never-"

"But you were having an affair with your ex-husband, correct?" I question.

"I don't have to answer your questions," she stutters. I jump forward off of the seat I am in.

"Who murdered her? Do you have the knife she was stabbed with?"

"No," she whispers.

"Are you sure?" I ask before walking back to the weapon wall I saw. "I reach up and grab a baselard off the wall. "In modern use by antiquarians, a type of 14th-century dagger with an I-shaped handle which evolved out of the 13th-century knightly dagger... This was used to kill Stacey Kimmel," I state.

"This?" She asks.

"Yes...." I mumble. I look closer at it. Then I look at her. "You didn't kill her... Who did?"

"I-I... Can't say," she mumbles.

"So you know?" I ask.

"Y-yes but-"

"It was your husband. He found out you were having an affair with your ex, so he killed Stacey and made it look like you did it. He set you up, leaving everyone to think you did it," I conclude, solving the easy case I had been working on for only a day.

I take out my phone before looking back to her.

"Both you and your husband will be charged," I say before calling Lestrade... A man who I haven't spoken to in a while.

***
I arrive at 221B, walking up to see Hudson.

After Sherlock left, I've been paying double to keep 221B available for myself. I've had to work extra, and I even had to get a job as Lestrade's assistant.

"Hello," I greet her, not wanting to say much.

"Hello, Rachelle! I made some tea if you want some," she announces. I send a grateful smile her way.

"Thank you," I mumble. "You cleaned?" I question.

"Yes, I did."

"You're my landlady... I can clean, Hudson," I mutter.

"I just figured with only you living here, you could use some help. I know you're out and about working extra so you can stay here... I just don't want too much weight on your shoulders," Hudson counters. I let out a sigh, laying back onto the couch. I fold my hands as I look up at the ceiling.

"It's hard," I start. "It's hard living without a flatmate... It's just hard living without Sherlock. Mrs.Hudson, I miss him. I miss him so much," I croak out. She steps back, a bit startled by my voice and the amount of emotion I just threw at her.

"I do too," she replies. "Well, I'll leave you be." Hudson walks out of 221B, leaving me all alone... Just like Sherlock did. I take a deep breath trying not to cry.

Quickly, Mrs. Hudson trails back in. "Rachelle, I want you to go out tonight and have a nice meal. I know you don't nearly eat as much as you should anymore... I want you to go to a nice place. It's on me."

***
THE LANDMARK HOTEL, MARYLEBONE ROAD.

I approach the door to the restaurant. Waiters open the doors for me and I walk in. A smile appears on my lips as I adjust my dress, ready for dinner.