Chapter 8*

AN: This is going to be the last chapter for a while that goes off the show. The rest(after this chapter) will be my own.

***

John sits in the back of a taxi. He has the computer and a notebook open on his lap and is holding his phone to his ear. I sit next to him, looking at the computer. I've been tagging along with the detective for a while now. He hasn't directly asked for my assistance however I know he appreciates my help. I keep John from nagging at him all while spewing random information I've found. John seems to like me-- probably because I treat him a lot nicer than Sherlock does.

"No, Detective Inspector Lestrade. I need to speak to him. It's important. It's an emergency!" John yells into the phone. The map on the laptop shows the location of Jennifer's phone again. "Er, left here, please. Left here," John tells the cab driver.

John and I have arrived at Roland-Kerr College. As the taxi pulls away, John tucks the notebook into his jacket and looks at the two identical buildings in front of him. Clearly the map isn't precise enough to indicate exactly where the phone is. After a moment, I make the choice for him and we head towards the buildings.

Somewhere in the college, John and I are running through the corridors. I'm not quite sure where we are but we don't stop running.

"Sherlock!" John calls out. John runs from door to door, trying to find his friend, and peering in through the windows. I quickly yank John's arm, trying to get him to stop running around and yelling like a maniac. He stops in his tracks and his eyes trail up to where my grip around his arm is. I quickly release my grasp and step away.

"John, that's not going to do anything... He's not going to respond. We just have to keep looking."

***

A gunshot rings out.

A bullet impacts Jeff's chest, close to his heart, continuing through his body and smashing into the door behind him. As he falls to the floor, Sherlock drops the pill in surprise.

In the opposite building, I have John's pistol still raised and aimed out of the window. I slowly lower the gun to my side, before handing it back to John. In the other building, Sherlock turns and slides over the desk behind him and hurries to the window, bending down to stare through the bullet hole in the glass. The window of the opposite room is open but there is nobody in sight.

I ran before he could see me.

***

"Why have I got this blanket? They keep putting this blanket on me," says aloud to Lestrade but I step in.

"It's for shock, Sherlock," I tell him as if he were dumb.

"I'm not in shock," Sherlock tries to argue.

"Yeah, but some of the guys wanna take photographs," Lestrade informs him with a shit-eating grin on his face causing Sherlock to roll his eyes.

"So, the shooter. No sign?" Sherlock questions and just as he does I look away. He can't possibly guess it's me, right?

"Cleared off before we got 'ere. But a guy like that would have had enemies, I suppose. One of them could have been following him but ... got nothing to go on," Lestrade shrugs, and I look up at him, hoping he doesn't suspect me. Considering how dull he is, I would be surprised if he did think it were me.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," Sherlock says, as he looks at Lestrade pointedly as if he had something to say.

I look at Lestrade, hoping he'll ignore the curly haired man but he doesn't. "Okay, gimme."