Chapter 3*

I absentmindedly stare at my laptop screen, searching for more cases to pursue. After my recent occurrence at the Police Press Conference there has been one question on my mind: Who was this mystery man? Soon, I find more information linked to the murders; an address to someone's house.

Lauriston Gardens

I jump off of the floor in a rush to get to the location, excited to find more. I stretch my back trying to rid myself of the stiffness from resting on the hard ground. My empty apartment doesn't have a chair yet. I should buy a chair.

I quickly run to the pile of boxes where I threw my coat on top of. I pull it on over my clothes and  reach in my pocket to grab out my perfume. I spritz myself before running out of my home in a hurry. I leave the door unlocked, thinking to myself, I have nothing anybody would want to steal.

I run onto the street and whistle loudly before shouting for a taxi causing one to abruptly stop. I jump in before informing the driver of my destiny. After a short drive, I hop out of the taxi, not saying a word. I walk up to the scene and stop when I see two males. An extremely tall and lanky one with defined cheek bones. His hair is unruly-- merely combed and overgrown. Next to him stands a short man with a cane. They both reek of suspicion.

"Would it be better if I just waited and ..." I hear the short man ask. After a short glance at the small man, I deduce that he is retired military. His attire, posture, and mannerisms prove my deduction.

"No," the taller man interrupts as he lifts the tape for the shorter man. As the short one walks under the tape, the woman lifts a radio to her mouth. That's when I smoothly walk up there, ready to but in.

"I'm with them," I announce, referring to the two men who I don't know. This is my way in to the scene.

"She is?" The military man questions as he glances at the tall one, looking for confirmation. He continues looking at me in a quizzical way, while the tall one's face goes straight.

"I guess she is," the tall, curly haired man says aloud, his eyes not leaving my body as if he were studying me. Deducing me.

"Freak's here. Bringing him in," the woman from the Police Press Conference mutters. The woman leads me and the two men towards the house. "Now he's got an entourage-- a little girlfriend."

"May I ask what your name is?" I say referring to the female however I recognize her as Donovan from the press conference.

"It's Sergeant Donovan to you," she answers with an extremely snotty voice. The tall male looks around the area and at the ground as we approach. I do the same-- inspecting everything as we trail on. As we reach the pavement, a man dressed in a coverall comes out of the house.

"Ah, Anderson. Here we are again," the tall man concludes.

"It's a crime scene. I don't want it contaminated. Are we clear on that?" The man, Anderson, says while looking at him with distaste.

"Quite clear. And is your wife away for long?" The tall man inquires as he takes another deep breath through his nose.

"Oh, don't pretend you worked that out. Somebody told you that," Anderson pushes. I almost laugh at his fatuity.

"Your deodorant told me that." The tall man smirks at his comment.

"My deodorant?" Anderson questions.

"It's for men," the tall man explains with a quirky expression on his face. Clearly Anderson has yet to catch on.

"Well, of course it's for men! I'm wearing it!" Anderson huffs.

"So is Sergeant Donovan," I quip, cutting into their conversation. Anderson glances to Donovan in shock at the fact that we caught them red handed. I sniff pointedly while the curly-haired man glances down at me with an expressionless face. He's surprised I noticed such a thing.

"Who are you?" Anderson ask me.

"Hmm, who am I? Lets go with 'A New Acquaintance'," I suggest with a shit eating grin. He looks at me oddly before the tall man talks.

"Ooh, and I think it just vaporised. May I go in?" The tall man asks, getting bored.

"Now look: whatever you're trying to imply ..." Anderson turns back and points at the tall man angrily.

"I'm not implying anything."  We head past Donovan and towards the front door. "I'm sure Sally came 'round for a nice little chat, and just happened to stay over," the tall man hints as he turns back. My glance meets the short man's and I shrug.

"And I assume she scrubbed your floors, going by the state of her knees," I pipe in, gaining all the attention. "A bit sore, are they?" Anderson and Donovan stare at me in horror. I smile smugly before turning to go into the house. The short man walks past Donovan, briefly but obviously looking down to her knees, then follows me inside. The tall man passes me, taking lead and I scoff at the entitlement. The tall man leads us into a room on the ground floor where a man is putting on a coverall. The man points to a pile of similar items.

"You need to wear one of these," the tall one says to the short one and I.

"Who's this?" Lestrade questions, referring to the short man. I recognize him from the conference.

"He's with me," the tall man says as he takes of his gloves. Calling him a tall man is quite annoying.

"But who is he?" Lestrade asks.

"I said he's with me," the tall man snaps, clearly annoyed.

"Then who is she?" The same man asks, referring to me.

"Not sure," the tall man quickly answers while Lestrade looks to me.

"Lestrade," he says, introducing himself. He holds his hand out for me to shake. I just simply nod and he awkwardly puts his hand down.

"A New Acquaintance," I introduce myself with a slight smile. Then I look at the short man who takes off his jacket and puts on a coverall. "Since we are playing the name game... Who are you, exactly?"

"I'm John. John Watson," he informs me and holds out his hand. I just shake my head in both disappointment and amusement. He didn't notice I refused to shake Lestrade's hand either. 

"Hello, John Watson, but I don't shake hands... As I previously motioned before with Lestrade. Anyways... Afghanistan or Iraq?" I ask. He just looks at me confused, maybe even annoyed.

"I just went through this earlier... Did he tell you?" He asks and looks at the tall man.

"No, I don't even know the mans name, and I just learned yours. Again, Afghanistan or Iraq? Or am I wrong?... I don't like being wrong, so I'm almost always correct."

"Afghanistan... And I'm not even going to ask how you knew because I just went through this- Sorry who are you?" He inquires as he shakes his head in confusion. He rubs his temples, clearly overwhelmed.

"Remember, I'm 'A New Acquaintance'," I say once more, having no reason to reveal my name yet.

"Right. Anyways... Aren't you gonna put one on?" He says directing his attention to the tall man. "What about you?" John Watson asks looking over at me. The tall man just looks at him sternly. John just shakes his head before turning to me.

"Hmm, no," is all I say before putting my latex gloves on.

"So where are we?" The tall man asks Lestrade.

"Upstairs," Lestrade answers as he picks up another pair of latex gloves.