Chapter 19*

"Today we're going to learn-" Sherlock starts.

"How not to look like a douche?" I ask and the class cracks up. I look around before I glance at 'Mr. Baines'. Sherlock's eyebrows are raised and he has a look of anger in his face. "Sorry, Mr. Baines. Didn't mean to say that so loud."

"That's what I thought."

***

"What percentage of the earth is covered by water?" Sherlock asks the class. Almost everybody raises their hands. He picks some random kid who looks way too eager.

"56 percent," The boy answers.

"Anyone else?" Sherlock asks, ignoring the last kid's wrong guess.

"About 71 percent," I mumble to the guy next to me. "Why's he asking us? He's the professor."

"What was that...?" Sherlock trails off, asking my name. God, who knew he could look so attractive playing teacher. His curls sit on his head perfectly, as if he did his hair to look the part. He stands tall

"Sheralynn Homes," I greet. "About 71 percent of the earth's surface is covered by water," I state, not looking up from my nails. A small smirk plays on my lips.

"Okay. What sorts of signals does the brain use to communicate sensations, thoughts, and actions?" He asks, not pointed at me though.

"Eyes," Some kid says and I scoff.

Too stupid to be in this class.

"The single cells in the brain communicate through electrical and chemical signals," I mumble again, earning a look of distaste from Sherlock.

"Did dinosaurs and humans ever exist at the same time?" He asks, now directed towards me.

Does he even know the answer to that irrelevant question?

"No. Dinosaurs went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous period, 65 million years ago. Modern humans did not appear until around 200,000 years ago." I take stab at my knowledge packed away in my brain.

Don't fail me now.

"What is Darwin's theory of the origin of species?" He asks. Then I notice he's reading from a book.

"You tell me," I start then smile. "Darwin's theory of species origination says that natural selection chooses organisms that possess variable and heritable traits and that are best suited for their environments."

"Why is the sky blue?"

"Solar radiation sunlight is scattered across the atmosphere by a process called diffused sky radiation. The sky is blue because much more short-wave radiation-- blue light-- is scattered across the sky than long-wave radiation--red light," I spew out in an educated guess. He groans aloud and the students look at me in awe.

Well, I didn't major in Science for nothing. Ask me about the Periodic Table, hun.

He looks me up and down, as if he were trying to deduce me. Good luck with that. "What is it that makes diseases caused by viruses and bacteria hard to treat? " He reads from the Science book. 

"Some viruses continually change over time, usually by mutation. This change enables the virus to evade the immune system of its host so that people are susceptible to influenza virus infection throughout their lives. Bacteria mutate in the same way and can also become resistant if overtreated with antibiotics... You're welcome." By now I forgot about the other students and how both Sherlock and I may look odd. I am not the least bit sorry.

"My turn. Why does a year consist of 365 days and a day of 24 hours?" I suddenly inquire and his smirk fades. I sit in my desk, staring him in the eyes as he does the same to me. I don't break eye contact as I cross a leg over the other. He gives me a blank stare. "I'll give you a hint: It has to do with the Earth traveling around the Sun." He continues staring at me, "Give up?" I ask.

"I don't give up-" He starts, but I decide to save him from further embarrassment. The kids are looking between the two of us extremely confused.

"A year is the time it takes for the Earth to travel around the Sun. A day, 24 hours, is the time it takes for the Earth to spin around once on its axis. The Earth travels around the Sun. How do you not know that?"

"Listen," he explained, "you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work. And it shouldn't yours."

"Okay, I understand. I know, but it's the damn Solar System. It's too simple not to know," I protested. I look around at all the students watching us. I mentally groan as I forgot they were there. Some hold their jaws open in amazement while others do it in shock. I shoot the guy next to me a pitiful look.

"Oh, hell! What does that matter?! So we go around the sun! If we went around the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference! All that matters to me is the work! Without that, my brain rots. Put that in your brain – or better still, stop inflicting your useless facts and information on the world! Nobody cares about what you have to say!" He snaps. My body tenses as frustration runs through my veins, making me want to scream. I grit my teeth, trying to keep myself from punching his smug little face. I cannot believe he just said that in front of the students. Clearly, he cannot keep himself in check.

That bastard! How dare he- how dare he insult me like that! What have I done to make him say that?

My hands roll into tight balls of fury as I abruptly stand, startling the man next to me. I don't give Sherlock another look before I exit the room, hopefully leaving him looking stunned.

"Twat," I whisper sharply to him, and he hears it. I walk away, fuming in anger.