Chapter 01*

"I'm off, Mrs. Baines. Sorry for the trouble I have caused you all," I say, directing my apologies towards my adopted family. They look at me with no sign of sympathy and I understand why. I've been nothing but brash and obnoxious which has made my family nearly go insane.

"Oh sweetie, don't say that. You were fantastic," Mrs. Baines, my adopted mother lies through her teeth while she grabs my bags for me. It's quite obvious she's never liked me-- hell, they could barely put up with me. They loved me just about the same as my biological mother. 

"Oh, well thank you," I say with a fake smile on my face. I can tell she's lying by the way she looks at me, and how her posture is. She never twiddles her fingers unless she is lying. "Anyways... I will not miss you two at all," I mutter as I look at my adopted sisters. Their faces drop into anger, clearly offended by my choice of words. "Yes, I am glad I'm leaving you two," I state once more in agreement with myself.

"I won't miss you at all," One shrugs with a smirk plastered on her face.

"I have to agree. Have fun in London. I hope I never see you again..." The other mumbles the last sentence. I grin back, satisfaction smeared all over my face and they scoff. Then I look at my adopted father.

"I actually do hope I see you again," I truthfully state. He gives me a genuine smile. He has always been so kind. He is a great father and I'm glad I had the opportunity to live under his roof. 

"Have fun in London, kid. Keep in touch," he mumbles as he places my hat on my head. I straighten my back before turning away with a nod.

"Bye," I spit out before walking out of the door. I shut it behind me, not looking back. I walk out to the shuttle that will drop me off at the airport. I look at the driver before internally sighing.

"What a wretch," I whisper under my breath, thankful he doesn't hear me. I move to the back of the bus. I look at a few people who are sitting up ahead before I lay back in the seat. I grab out my earbuds and put them in. Instead of listening to music like one normally would, I listen to an audiobook. I've always found music quite distracting and loud. I'm never able to focus while the sounds are drowning out my thoughts. 

***

I am woken up by a young woman shaking me. I abruptly stand up, noticing the shuttle has arrived at the airport. She pulls her hand away from my shoulder, her stubby fingers retreating back to her hip. 

Left-handed
Early twenties
Self-conscious

"Hello," I smile as I grab my bag. The woman shyly smiles back, awkwardly looking away. "Who are you?" I question as she was the one to wake me up from my nap. 

"Amanda, no one important, but I wanted to wake you up b-before you missed your plane..." She stutters with an unsure smile.

"Well, Amanda. May I ask why you said "no one important" after I- No wait! You were made fun of," I conclude with a whisper and her eyes widen. She sends out a nervous laugh, looking around, unsure of what I am speaking of.

Why?

I look closer at her appearance. Her jeans are cuffed along with her shirt sleeves and she wears an assortment of colors. 

Homosexual.

"Ah, it's unfortunate you would be made of for something like that. No one deserves to be shamed for their sexuality," I spit out as I walk off in an attempt to find the boarding area. 

"Oh," I hear her whisper as I walk off.

***

"Lookout. Move," I mumble under my breath, trying to shove past people who are taking way too long. We were given legs for a reason, let's use them.

"I believe it's pronounced as excuse me," a woman says as she turns around to face me. I roll my eyes at her patheticness. She was the one standing and chatting to strangers while others were trying to move past her...

"I believe it's pronounced as 'I don't care'," I inform the woman as I trail by. She scoffs to the person she was gossiping to before glaring at me as I walk away. I manage to get my plane ticket and an hour later I am on the plane. I find my seat next to a window. I sit there and wait for the plane to take off. Then, someone sits next to me. I look over at the woman.

"Hello," I greet before looking back out the window. Then a woman sits in front of me with her baby that is at least a year old. Then a father with a son who is at least six sits behind me. I internally groan again, knowing what is to come. Then soon the plane takes off.

***

I cover my ears as the baby in front of me screams as if it were just brutally stabbed. I scoot forward in my seat so I can't feel the child behind me kicking it. Then, in a matter of seconds, my patience vanishes.

"Can you shut your child up?" I raise my voice at the mother in front of me. "And can you please tell your kid to quit kicking my seat?" I shout at the man behind me and many people look at me in shock. "I am so- No. I'm not sorry, actually. There is a reason your infant is crying," I say aloud as I sit forward in my seat again. "I suggest trying to feed it," I mutter under my breath.

"Excuse you?" A woman questions in shock. "Who do you think you are?"

"A slightly sociopathic Consulting Detective. Why, did I say something wrong?" I inquire with a straight face however amusement leaks into my tone of voice.

"W-Well, that was rude," she stutters. What a low life. I mean, she can't even defend her family, let alone herself. She tries to stand up for herself only to end up looking weak.

"W-well.." I mimic her. "I'm a rude person," I reply bluntly.

"I can see that," another says with a snarky attitude. My head whips in the direction of the voice. I'm not shocked someone else decided to step in.

"Yes, and is that a problem?" I ask aloud. "I honestly think you shouldn't be arguing with me. My IQ is higher than you two could possibly count, please choose your battles wisely," I warn them. A slight smirk appears on my face before I look out the window once again. Soon, I finally arrive at my destination. After getting off the plane I call a cab to take me to my apartment. My adopted parents paid the first year of rent to help me get settled. This is their way of supporting me before planning to never see me again. I walk inside and look around at the empty apartment.

"Fun."