Chapter 19 - Home

Start from the beginning

"Okay." I nodded, gently pushing the door.

"Lia." He pushed back once again and entered. I quickly took a few steps back. "What I wanted to tell you was that I ended the contract."

"Y-You ended it?" My voice wavered as I asked for a confirmation, uncertain if I'd really heard what I thought I had.

"Yeah, I did it yesterday. You can go home in two days." There was no life in his voice, or his face for that matter. For what real reason, I was unsure.

Mixed feelings arose at his words, a burst of excitement and a strange sensation of losing something.
If Harry had been able to end the contract all this while, like Darren had said, why didn't he? He'd lied that it wasn't possible to end it just like that. But I decided to just ignore it, because all that mattered now was that I was going to see my family again.

"I-I don't know what to say." I murmured.

"And you'll be.. well... happy again." He added.

Happy? I'd be returning to my former life. Doing chores in the apartment while my mother worked, as I'd done for the past few years. I didn't know what to feel, I only knew what I was supposed to feel. Which was 'happy'. Why was I taking such a long time to be so? This was all I'd been looking forward to.

"Thank you." I told him, unsure what else to say.

"You don't have to thank me. If it wasn't for me, you'd never be in this mess."

I didn't respond to that. I knew that I would still be in a mess if it wasn't for him, and probably even a much worse one. But I decided to keep it to myself.

"Lia, tomorrow's my birthday. And... I want to treat you."

"Shouldn't it be the other way around?" I questioned.

He shrugged. "I owe you."

_____________

Harry handed over his Mercedes to the car jockey. Once he had instructed the jockey to take good care of his car, Harry turned to me as the Mercedes revved off. Glass doors slid open automatically as we neared and I was greeted with a cool AC wind blowing at my face.

I protested against going with Harry but his words were forceful so I had to give in eventually. The mall was humongous. I'd only ever been to the smaller ones every once in a blue moon and compared to this, those small malls were nothing. Designer shops with names I'd never even heard of filled every floor. Posh restaurants - English, Italian, Mexican, Asian - were scattered about.

"Get anything you want." Harry said. It almost sounded like an order.

"What?" When he said that he'd treat me, I was thinking cake pops at the most.

"Clothes, shoes, bags. Whatever girly shit you want. Get it." He told me. I began to question the opinion I had of Harry.

Harry had definitely grown nicer since our first meeting, although sometimes his choice of words is misleading and rude. But I still couldn't let my guard down, I constantly reminded myself of the type of people Damian and Richard were and the possibility that Harry was like them. I wasn't going to fall into any trap again.

"Well, go." He urged. I might have been looking at him for a little too long, but it was because I was so lost in my thoughts.

I walked into a boutique with a massive photo of a model plastered outside. Harry followed. A lot of dresses caught my attention, but some were too short for my liking. I didn't move around much, I merely eyed the clothes and bags.