Chapter 15

I decided to split the chapter into both Isadora and Dax's POVs, though they're both probably short.

Chapter 15

Isadora

       While Dad was going over the worksheet he just handed out, Dax asked if he could go for a walk. I knew something was up with him. I could tell when something was bothering him, especially whenever he brought out his music.

       But, as much as I wanted him to talk to me about it, I didn't want to pressure him into doing so. A lot of people I knew snapped when I pushed them into tell me what was bothering them, so I stopped doing so.

       I really hoped Dax was okay though. I really wanted him to be okay.

       When Dad was done going over the worksheet, everyone began working on it. I stared at the sheet for a bit before I started working on it. I thought Dax would be back within five minutes, because that was how long he normally took for his walks, but he wasn't.

       So I couldn't really concentrate.

       My focus turned to the clock, watching the second hand slowly tick. Another five minutes passed and he still wasn't back.

       Dad suddenly walked up to me. "I swear, I was doing my work," I said.

       "I wasn't going to tell you to do your work," he said. "I want you to go check up on Dax. He never takes this long for his walks."

       "Oh, okay," I said, placing my pencil down and getting up from my seat.

       I was hoping Dax would be near the classroom when I walked out, but he wasn't, so I headed to his locker, thinking that would be the next place he would be.

       He was there. Dax had his head resting on his locker with his eyes closed tightly. "Dax?" I said. He turned his head to look at me. "Are you okay?"

       Not even five seconds later, he suddenly collapsed onto the floor. 

       I hurried over to him and knelt down beside him. "Dax?" I asked, but his eyes were shut. I rested my hand on his cheek. "Dax, come on, look at me. Dax?"

       There was no reply.

       Roger was suddenly by us. "What happened?" he asked in a worried tone.

       "I don't know," I said. "He went for a walk and was taking too long, so I was told to check up on him, and he suddenly collapsed."

       Roger checked Dax's pulse before pulling out his cell phone and calling for an ambulance. The whole time, I had my hand held in Dax's. I didn't know what happened or why he collapsed, but I had a feeling it wasn't good, especially because I knew he didn't seem that good at the beginning of class.

       "Okay, the ambulance is on the way," he said. "I'm going to go inform the office so they could put the school on lock-down." 

       Sometimes, the school was put on lock-down when there was an injury or something like that and they needed everyone out of the way for the ambulance to arrive.

       "In the meantime, I'll need you to stay with him," Roger continued. "Talk to him and see if he gains consciousness."

       "W-what if....if he d-doesn't?" I asked, my heart beating faster than normal. I couldn't go through this again....

       "He'll be fine," Roger said calmly. "I know you don't handle these situations well, but you're going to have to try, okay? Stay calm for him."