Chapter 56

"I mean the test was really good. It was a paper 1, those are easy, and I really needed that as a pick me for the rest of the exams. Honestly, why are these exams spread so far apart!"

"That's the way they have it baby. I can't even remember. It's been such a long time since I've seen high school things," Dominique sighed, looking at her wife.

She watched her features. She watched the way Elize's eyebrows clenched when she showed exhaustion. She looked at her how her lips pursed up at the talk of exams. Her eyes twinkled like always but there was a little less, because of the drain of life from her.

Elize rolled her eyes as she slammed a science book on the side of her laptop. She talked away, telling her problems and Nicki just watched and listened and fell more in love with Elize at that moment.

She should have been there to comfort her baby, to massage her head when she had a headache, to whisper sweet encouraging words that she'll make it in her ears, to make love to her to relieve the stress that was built up inside of her. Instead she was here.

Dominique sighed and laid her head in one hand. How much time did she have left in this place? 7 weeks? 6 weeks? She knew a month had past and that was a glorious feeling to her.

She frowned at the thought of Clarity. Clarity said she had only a few weeks left. What if she passed when Nicki was leaving or if she had already left? She had to be there for Elize's graduation, but what about her grandmother's funeral.

Who should she pick?

No. Not right now. Right now, she was listening to Elize complain and also talk about the genetic mutation, because she had biology in two days.

"I mean I'm learning these things when I won't even need them for my career! It's abs--" she stopped and realized soemthing.

"Dominique you've been letting me talk about these stupid exams for the past 10 minutes and you haven't even said a word yet!" She slapped her head.

"Baby I'm sorry. It's just these exams are overwhelming my brain. Forgive me?"

"It's quite alright baby. I'm listening to you talk. I don't really have to say anything really. I just want to listen to your sweet voice and look at your beautiful face. You're so beautiful," Elize blushed, looking at from the screen and she smiled.

"You're honestly the best, you know that? Well...let me stop about my studies. You told me you had stories to tell me," Dominique's head popped up and she smiled widely.

"I have to tell you about today with what happen with the grandmothers," and she proceeded to tell Elize about what happened.

"Ohhhhh. So your grandmothers were am adult and teenager too. Maybe it's in your blood is seek out younger women,"

"Shut up! Clarity was 13 and Margo had just turned...17 or 18,"

"18 is an adult,"

"Whatever. They're together aren't there!" Nicki rolled her eyes. She looked the door being pushed opened and saw her children walk in, dragging their baby dolls by the hair on the ground. Anna-Leah had her thumb in her mouth as she came.

"Maria, Leah, mommy is on the screen!" She sang. The little girls' eyes widened and they stopped the dolls. They ran up to Nicki and she lifted both in to her arms.

Elize smiled at the sight of her children. It had been a week since she saw them last. Why? Every time she had spoken to Dominique, they were either with the grandmothers, eating or sleeping.