True Daddy's Girl

I'm moving to a new place. I'm moving to a new area. I'm moving to a new school. I'm moving to a new house.

I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. I'm a true city girl. The honking of car horns, sidewalks crowded with people...

My father was raised in Chicago, as well, but my mother is from Dallas, Texas. She left her parents to go to college in Chicago. That's where she met my father. She loves the city but she sometimes wishes she was out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere.

Because of my mother's true southern values, my parents divorced each other. My dad's going to stay in Chicago and my mom's going to move to Atlanta, Georgia. The big question after they got a divorce was: Are Alice and Jordan going to live with their mother or their father?

The answer was their mother. She took full custody over my younger sister and I and, now, we are moving to Atlanta.

"This is gonna be so much fun! Right, Alice and Jordan?" My mother asks my sister and I, excitement rising in her voice. My sister isn't paying attention so I speak... and I regret it afterwards.

"No, mother. It's not going to be fun. How am I going to feel like let's-just-move-to-a-new-place-and-totally-act-like-our-lives-are-completely-normal-when-they-aren't." My sarcasm ruins my mother's whole demeanor.

"Jordan, I'm just tryin'..."

I cut her off by saying, "Trying to change my life for the better? Well, you're not. You're only making it worse. Separating me from my father. From the city I love. From my friends. From a great freaking life. Yeah, thanks Mom. Love you, too." Hot tears start to roll down both of our cheeks.

"Jordan, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry I took custody over you. I'm so sorry. I just didn't want to lose my baby." I didn't say anything. I just continued to cry.

• • • • •

Once we arrived to the new house, we had stopped crying. We haven't made up, yet, because I'm still a little angry at her.

"Well, here we are. A new house. A new school. A new life," My mother said, smiling, as she parked our Ford grey Escape in the driveway.

"I'm scared," I say, looking at my mom.

"It will be fine," she says, tucking one of my beautiful, blonde curls behind my right ear.

After that, we get out of the car. Our new house has 3 levels: basement, main level, and second level.

The basement is completely finished with nice light brown carpeting with a bathroom, two storage closets, and a little kitchen area. Nothing too fancy. The rest is open and big. There's a large flatscreen in the corner with a three seater, brown, leather couch across from it.

On the main level there is the three car garage, kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, and living room. The living room and kitchen are open to each other. The kitchen is equipped with a sink, island, dishwasher, fridge, stove, microwave, and some cabinets. The counter tops are all done with a nice brown granite and the floors are done in a dark-stained, hard wooded flooring. The living room has a three seater couch, flatscreen, and a large stone fireplace.

The upstairs has one master bed, one master bath, two bedrooms, and one Jack-and-Jill bathroom.

"Alice, this is your room," my mother says as she opens the door to the bedroom that was closest to the stairs. We walk in. The walls are hot pink and there is a twin size bed to the left of the door with a nightstand and a lamp. A small window sits straight across from the bed on the other wall. The wall that is adjacent to the one with the window and is on the left of the window wall has a large mirror on it with a dresser underneath. The bathroom that connects to my room is connected to Alice's room by a door that's on the right of the dresser. Her closet door is on the other wall and on the other side of the window wall. The closet is a full walk-in closet.