Chapter 12

Something humans constantly overlook is gaining another's complete trust. Having someone's trust is like them holding their arms out blindfolded, ready for you to either catch them, or do what happens most often, stab them straight through the heart. Many conflicts arise from trust being broken one way or another, even historical ones that started wars against civilizations of old.

Jeremy was still on the edge of trusting Mark. They had an exchange at the hospital, yes, but he had not proven himself yet. He looked over Mark's x-Rays with that thought in the back of his mind. His ribs were healing up nicely, though his jaw seemed to be a little behind.

"What did you do to your jaw?" He asked.

"I don't think I did anything to it."

Mark thought back to his previous encounter with Caspar back at the cafeteria, not recalling getting injured. A small smile grazed his lips as he remembered how that encounter ended with Caspar in a world of pain. Mark shook his head, getting back to the situation in hand.

"Why ask? Is something wrong?"

"Your jaw is healing a bit slower than it should be." Jeremy started. "Clenching your jaw tightly could affect it as well."

"Oh. Well in that case, I suppose I did do some of that three days ago."

"Might I ask what happened?"

"Caspar approached me again on campus, but instead of punching me in the face or arguing, he was trying to... seduce me, I guess? I just got mad and clenched my jaw because I didn't want to speak. That didn't exactly work out though, and in the end he tried grabbing my shoulder and I reflexively kneed his groin."

Jeremy burst out laughing. That was really amazing that his reflex was that. Once he caught his breath, he took out a notepad and pen. He started writing notes about what Mark said down.

"Well, you'll need to avoid anymore irritating situations that would cause jaw clenching if you want it to heal. Three more days, max, meanwhile your ribs will be a week or two more."

"Three days without being irritated? Should be easy enough... I hope."

Mark looked to Jeremy with a half smile, glad that at least one good thing could come from him getting pummeled at that party: Caspar's expulsion and arrest.

Jack on the other hand was extremely bored in his room. He didn't have band practice, he had finished his assignments, and had nothing to do. He thought everyone else was busy, but then a lightbulb: Mark! Jack knew he would be finished with his check up appointment soon. He excitedly fished his phone out of his pocket and sent Mark a text:

Jack: Hey Mark! Just wondering if u would like 2 hang when ur done with ur check up???

Once everything was settled, Mark cabbed it back to campus. He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, notifying him that he had gotten a message. He opened it, quickly reading it over with a small smile. He didn't have anything else to do, so why not?

Mark: Yeah that sounds great! I need some coffee in my system so maybe we could go 2 the cafe right off campus?

Jack: Alright, I'll meet u there then :)

Jack knew the place had great cookies, which meant he had to buy some. He grabbed his wallet and keys, then left the dorm on a mission for coffee and cookies.

Mark put his phone away, and asked the cabbie politely if they could change destinations. The driver was nice enough to comply to Mark's request with a smile and began to drive to the cafe. After about a ten minute drive, they had gotten to the cafe and Mark thanked the man. He gave him a tip as well as a smile before closing his door and entering the small establishment.