Chapter Twenty Four // The End

I was at the end of a corridor when I saw Joe at the other end. I'd never seen him run so fast. He enveloped me into the biggest hug. I felt safe. The safest I'd felt in months.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He said into my hair.

"Because I didn't want to hurt you." I sighed. He kissed me on the forehead and we headed back to the public gallery.

The trail went on for days. Random people I didn't even know giving evidence. Alfie, Marcus and Oli telling their sides of the story. Joe giving evidence on day two. I shed more tears in them four days than I had done in my entire life.

On day four, the jury came back in. The moment we'd all been waiting for. I gripped Joe's hand as the head of the jury stood up.

"Have the jury come to a unanimous decision?" The judge asked.

"Yes." The head of the jury said.

"How do you find the defendant Alfred Deyes on the first degree murder of Gabriella Lindley and Caspar Lee. Guilty or not Guilty?"

"Guilty." She said as relief swept through me. I glanced at Alfie who hung his head in his hands.

"How do you find the defendant Alfred Deyes of false imprisonment of Caspar Lee and Hannah Jones. Guilty or not guilty?" He carried on.

"Guilty." She said. I wanted to cry from relief. I wanted to shout from the rooftops. Joe squeezed my hand and smiled.

Marcus got handed the same cards, even though he argued he didn't kill Gabriella of Caspar, but he deserved it. He killed two of my best friends.

It came round to Oli. Oli wasn't up for any murder charges, which honestly deep down, I was glad about. He was still a friend. He kidnapped me. He was still my friend. I didn't blame him for Caspar's death anymore.

"How do you find the defendant Oliver White of the false imprisonment of Caspar Lee and Hannah Jones. Guilty or not Guilty?"

I held my breath. I knew it would be guilty, but I didn't want it to be.

"Guilty." My heart sunk.

Oli looked like the little boy I met on the first day of secondary school all over again. Lost and alone.

"How do you find the defendant Oliver White on obstruction of justice. Guilty or not guilty?"

"Guilty." At that moment Oli looked me in the eye and mouthed "I'm so sorry."

He was sorry. How did the boy who wouldn't hurt a fly get tangled up in this mess? I mouthed back at him "I forgive you." As he was lead away.

Everything was over now. All the weight had disappeared. The pain was still there, but the pain was never going to go.

Both me and Joe walked out of the courts hand in hand and sat on the stairs. I put my head on his shoulder.

"It's over now." He said to me.

"Yeah," I replied, "it's over."

His hand intertwined with mine, as he began tracing the scar he forever traced with his finger. "The pain will never go." He sighed as he squeezed my hand tighter. "But we'll learn to live with it."

~

The sand beneath my feet and the wind in my hair was blissful as me and Joe walked along the North Norfolk beach where I grew up. Our hands intertwined listening to the waves crash on the shore.

"Let's move here?" He asked me smiling. I didn't even need to answer. We both needed somewhere new. Somewhere fresh. The house in London didn't feel right anymore. Bad memories in every room. It held a million secrets in its walls.

He pulled me into a hug and looked out the sea and pointed. "Do you see that over there?"

I turned round to look. Squinting at the horizon but not seeing anything. "Joe what are you talking about?" As I turned round to see Joe down on one knee.

"Well, I did say I'd do it properly." He smiled, "So, will you marry me?" He raised an eyebrow.

Butterflies exploded inside me. "I thought you'd never ask."