Chapter Twenty // Bittersweet

Zoe sat in front of me with tears in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Hannah." She kept repeating. It wasn't her fault. How would she know her boyfriend was a complete psycho. Her house was now a crime scene so she was staying in my spare room.

"Zoe. None of this is your fault" I said for the hundredth time. "There were no signs. You wouldn't of known me and Caspar were there, you were at Louise's."

She nodded and took a sip of her now possibly cold tea. We sat in silence for what seemed like forever. We both jumped when the phone started ringing. I put my head back as Zoe went to answer it.

I hung on until I realised it was just a general call from some call centre. I got up and went to mine and Joe's room and closed the door.

I went to his wardrobe and found my favourite hoody of his and put it on. I took my jeans off and put a pair of leggings on and climbed into his side of the bed. This had become the routine now. Only going out when I was going to see Joe, not on my own. Alfie and Marcus were still out there. Every creek put me on edge. I was constantly watching my back. I was scared to leave this bed.

I closed my eyes to try and drift off to sleep but I never got that far. Everything was so empty. This house, this bed, my head and my heart. I miss his laugh and his smile. I miss his extremely out of tune serenades. I miss his arms and his lips. I miss swimming in his blue eyes every time he looked at me.

I rolled over to face the window. The sun was shining through the trees. Memory box opened to when Joe tried to climb the tree and got stuck. I giggled to myself thinking about the incident.

Suddenly, my phone started going crazy. Tweets and Instagram's coming through will confused fans of Joe's. Everything had been kept on the down low for weeks. We had questions, why hasn't anyone been online, uploading videos, but gleam who manages them all had said there's just things going on. We all knew we wouldn't be able to keep this up.

Zoe came to my door and opened it slightly. I gestured her to come in. She sat on the end of my bed and sighed.

"They know about Caspar." She said with slight sadness in her voice. I nodded. We both knew this was coming. We couldn't hide the fact Caspar was murdered forever.

Zoe came to lay beside me and took my hand. "We'll get this sorted." She didn't look sure herself and I knew she wasn't sure herself, but we both needed that lie. My main concern at the moment was getting Joe home safe and sound.

"He won't be okay when he's out though Zoe." I wiped my eyes with the sleeves of the hoody. "He's going to be so broken. I don't know if I'll be able to fix him."

Zoe turned to me. "If anyone can fix him, it'll be you. He's going to be damaged goods, but we all are after this. He's under suspicion for murdering Gabbie and his best friend has just been murdered by people who he trusted. He was set up by people he trusted." She took a deep breath. "I need to tell you something. When I told him you and Caspar were missing, Alfie put it in his head that you two ran away together. He was so broken. When I told him what had happened, he was both relieved and shocked. He was glad you were okay."

"And when you told him about Caspar...?"

"I'd never seen him so broken... I'm scared he's going to do something. I'm scared I'm... We're going to lose him. I think the only reason he's still here is because of you. You keep him going." She squeezed my hand. "You are the only person able to fix him. Marry him. Give him time and love. Give him everything he'd never thought he'd have."

I nodded and sat up. I turned to Joe's bed side table to pulled out the box with the ring in it and passed it to Zoe. She opened it and smiled. "Plus I'll be a great aunty." She smirked as I nudged her with my elbow.

"Shall we go and see him tomorrow?" I asked her. "I need to hear his voice."

"Yeah," she smiled, "I'm sure he'd like that."

At that moment, we heard a door go downstairs. Zoe looked me with her eyes wide. I gestured her to hide under the bed.

While she did that, I fumbled around for a weapon. I found another of Joe's many cricket bats under a pile of clothes in the corner and got inside the wardrobe.

Through the crack I could see Zoe looking worried. She wasn't the only one. I was so scared. With Alfie and Marcus still on the loose, who was it?

Suddenly, the bedroom door creeped open to reveal a man with a crowbar in hand. His head was covered but I could make out the eyes. Alfie Deyes.