Chapter Five // I Walk the Line

I took a deep breath as I stepped out of the interview room. My body shaking violently and my cheeks stained with tears. DC Williams showed me to a seat and handed me a glass of water.

"What's going to happen to Joe?" I asked quietly.

She looks at me "Joe will be held here for 48 hours and then be moved back down to London" my eyes started streaming again. "I advice you go home Miss Jones," she put her hand on my knee, "and by home I mean London."

She gave me her card with her number on it. "Should you need anything or remember anything else, please don't hesitate to give me a call."

~

Back at the cottage, I finished packing Joe's car by myself. I locked up the cottage and left the key behind the flower pot where we had found it. I went to get into the drivers seat and just sat there and cried. I wondered if any of his family knew, if Caspar knew.

I picked up my phone with tears in my eyes and dialled the number. It rang 4 times before a South African accent answered "Hannah? Hey, hows the hol..."

I cut him off with sobs. "Cas... Caspar..."

"What's happened? Are you okay?"

"Joe... Joe has..." I couldn't get my words out.

"Hannah. Is Joe okay?" Caspar pleaded. "Calm down. Do you want me to come up? It will take me a few hours but..."

"Joe's been arrested on suspicion of murdering Gabbie." I blurted out. I didn't hear Caspar reply, just a thump with what I presumed was his phone hitting the floor. "Caspar? Are you there?" I said through tears.

"Sorry," his voice was shaking "I just..."

I sighed. "I'm so sorry Caspar." I looked up at the windscreen to see splashes of rain.

"Do you still want me to come up?" He asked.

"I've been told to go home. I'm not sure how long I'll be." I deflated. "Can you be at mine when I get back? I don't want to be alone."

"Yeah," he said, "you don't believe Joe did it do you?" And for the first time I questioned myself.

"No," I lied. In the back of my mind all my senses had alarm bells ringing. 

I said my goodbyes to Caspar and stared the car and put a playlist on. I sang quietly along to the first song that came on.

"You've got a way to keep me on your side. You give me cause for a love that I can't hide. For you, I know I'd even try to turn the tide...

Because you're mine, I walk the line."

I'd never felt so torn. I didn't know what I believed anymore.

I set off from the cottage back to London. It was longest and hardest drive I've ever endured in my life. Soon Country roads turned to motorways.

I wished Joe was here. We'd be chatting, laughing, planning. He'd tell me about his recent video ideas and I'd talk about music and work. The world stood so quiet without him. I hit traffic as I got to the M25. I hit the steering wheel in frustration. I just wanted to be home, even though it wasn't home without Joe.

My mind went back to this morning. I'd do anything to protect Joe. I'd walk the line for him. If he did murder my best friend, my loyalty still lied with him, even if it meant lying to everyone.