Chapter Nine // Sugar, We're Going Down

Days and nights seemed to blur into one. Friends and family came and went. Some stayed for an hour, others for a day or two.

I heard a knock at the door and groaned. I didn't want to see anyone. I dragged myself up off the sofa and headed to the door. Through the peep hole I saw a familiar and safe face.

I opened the door and jumped into the arms of Oli who stood there totally surprised.

"I came as soon as I heard..." He trailed off.

Me and Oli had known each other since we were 12. Becoming great friends during high school, we had similar interests and music tastes. He was the reason I met Joe.

"Oh Oli," I cried. I totally let every wall down I had built around me the last three days. Oli wrapped his arms around me and gave me the tightest hug.

He helped me back into the house sat me on  the sofa.

"Why didn't you call me?" He questioned.

"I didn't think," I sobbed, "Oli, what the hell am I going to do?"

Oli sat next to me and put his arm around my shoulders. I didn't have a clue how to get Joe out of this mess.

"Oli, can I tell you something?"

"Anything." He replied.

"You can't tell anyone. You can't show anyone. You have to promise me."

"I swear..." I nodded and went into my bag and pulled out the little notebook I had found in Joe's bed side table.

I sighed as I handed it to Oli. "What do you make of this?"

Oli opened the notebook and studied the pages intently. His face frowned as he turned page by page. My heart was caught in my mouth. Should I have done that? Would Oli go to the police about it?

He looked up at me. "Joe wouldn't kill anyone. Joe wouldn't even kill a spider. Where did you find this?"

"In his bedside table," I confessed, "curiosity got the better of me." I put my hands to my face and sighed.

"Hannah, do you think Joe killed Gabbie?" I looked him in the eyes. My eyes told him everything. "Are you going to go to the police with this?"

I shot him a look. "No!" I shouted. "I can't lose him Oli. I can't. He's the only reason I'm here now." Oli looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed together. "Oli, please don't tell anyone about this?" I begged. "Please!"

Oli looked at his feet. "Joe is everything to you isn't he?"

"Yeah, yeah he is." I replied. My eyes began to well up. Oli looked up at me and put his hand on my hand.

"Okay." I sighed in relief. He looked at me concerned. "You know if this goes wrong, you're going down too?"

"Don't you think I know that?" I snapped as he ran his hands stressfully though his dark brown hair. "It's a risk. It's a risk I'm willing to take."

"What if Joe didn't do it?" Oli questioned.

He had a point. I picked up the notebook and looked at it. "What else did he do then?"