Sophie

Sophie sighed. Three days earlier Percy had saved Annabeth, and he hasn't left her yet. Annabeth had been in a coma since they saved her, and nothing they did helped. Sophie had tried to heal her telepathically, but she couldn't find anything in Annabeth's mind. If she couldn't clearly see that Annabeth was breathing, she would have thought Annabeth was dead.

"Has anything changed?" Sophie asked putting food for Percy on the nightstand and taking his old uneaten food from last night.

Percy looked up at her with sunken eyes and nodded solemnly. "Can you try searching her mind again?"

Sophie nodded. She'd searched Annabeth's mind every time she came to see Percy, since he always hoped something could have changed. And every time Sophie hated telling Percy about the darkness.

Sophie placed her hands on Annabeth's temples, and concentrated on her mind. She entered easily enough, but once she got in Annabeth's mind felt like the dark liquid Annabeth had been submerged in earlier. She had tried to push through the liquid, but everytime she made any progress all she found was more darkness. Even when she tried with Fitz she barely made it very far. Sophie was about to leave Annabeth's mind when she saw a small flicker of light that she could have easily looked over earlier. Sophie strained toward the light, which slowly grew brighter, but soon the mental strain was too much. She made a mental note of the trail and left. Percy was looking at her hopefully.

"Did something change?" he asked.

Sophie nodded, grinning, and Percy leapt up, showing more energy than he had since they arrived back at the Black Swan's hideout, after he'd carried Annabeth to a bed.

"I saw some light, but I couldn't reach it. I'll probably be able to find it with Fitz later. I think it could be her nook-"

Percy cut her off. "What nook?"

"Well, when someone's mind is broken, I go into this little nook in the back of their mind and fill it with images of people they love and inflict positive emotions. Then I could bring them back. In the other minds of people who were put under the substance, I couldn't find anything, like I couldn't with Annabeth. I saw a faint light this time though, that I probably missed earlier."

"Can you save her then? Bring her back?" Percy pleaded.

Sophie smiled. "In theory, I should be able too."

Percy scrambled up. "We have to get Fitz."

One minute later Percy had found Fitz and brought him to Annabeth. Sophie thought he might have been running even faster than when they were trying to save Annabeth.

"What happened?" Fitz asked.

"I found Annabeth's nook," Sophie said, "We have to save her."

Stay close to me, like last time. Sophie transmitted. Remember that her mind is dangerous like a broken mind.

Fitz nodded, and they both put their fingers on Annabeth's temples. Fitz went next to Sophie, and they began to push through the liquid, faster than before. Sophie lead the way, and soon she could see the light. Fitz helped her get through the darkness until they finally made it to the nook. Sophie concentrated on Percy, and sent warm messages about how much he needs her. She inflicted positive emotions, and many pictures of Percy smiling. Nothing changed though, but Sophie was determined to keep trying.

Sophie, I don't think it'll work, Fitz's accented voice told her.

I have to keep trying. She replied, gritting her teeth.

Come on, you've been in there for two hours.

Two hours? It only felt like ten minutes to Sophie. She relented, determined to talk to Mr. Forkle later. They made their way out of Annabeth's mind.