Percy

"Annabeth," Percy whispered. "Annabeth," he repeated urgently, gently shaking his girlfriend.

Annabeth made no response whatsoever. "Wake up! I'm here," said Percy. "Please..." He let his voice trail off. "I missed you," he began. "And now, we're here in this crazy world, and I'm here for you. Just wake up..."

Linh came up behind Percy, her eyes sad. She rested a hand on his shoulder. "Can you carry her? We need to go soon." Linh kept glancing back at the entrance, where Sophie, Fitz, Biana, Tam, and Dex were waiting.

"Yeah, I understand. I can carry her." Percy attempted to untie the knots around Annabeth, only hurting his fingers. 

"Here, let me do it," said Linh, untying the ropes with her delicate fingers.

Percy lifted Annabeth off the ground, cradling her in his arms. He kept thinking of how limp she looked, her eyes closed, her face pale. But he knew, of course, that Annabeth was still alive. Besides her pulse, Percy knew that Annabeth had survived worse, even holding up the sky. Surely, she could live through whatever damage the Neverseen had done to her.

"Guys, we should probably head out soon," said Sophie, her face appearing in the doorway. "Tam and Biana say that the Neverseen is already searching for us." Sophie paused to look at Annabeth. "Is she alright?" She asked.

"I don't know," Percy said flatly. "I hope."

Sophie's shoulders slumped a little. "I hope she is too," she said.

"Yeah."

Fitz appeared, grabbing Sophie's hand. "We have to go," he reminded them all, sending the group hurrying down the tunnels.

"That way." Sophie pointed to the left. Thanks to her photographic memory, they had no need of a physical map. 

Suddenly, the group halted. It took a while for Percy to register what he'd just seen.

"Why, isn't it the Moonlark," sneered a man with one arm. He was not at all good-looking, like the rest of the elves. "And her little friends," he continued.

"Oh, but who's this?" Lady Gisela pointed at Percy, still holding on to Annabeth. "That's right, you were one of our prisoners."

"Emphasis on 'were'," said Percy, through clenched teeth. "I escaped." His hands tightened around Annabeth. Percy realized how cold his voice sounded, and was all of a sudden frightened, but then, remembering what the Neverseen had done to Annabeth, he stopped caring.

"Yes, escaped," said Lady Gisela. "I don't suppose my son is here, is he?"

Sophie stiffened. "No, no, he's not here. Doesn't want to see you, he says. After all, why would he? He hates it here," she spat. "And he hates you." Percy had never seen Sophie so angry. She must care a lot about Keefe, he thought. 

Lady Gisela was surprised. "Seize them," she commanded the other members of the Neverseen. "But let me handle this one," she said, pointing at Sophie.

Sophie narrowed her eyes. "I don't think so," she said. Suddenly, a cloud of red exploded, and Lady Gisela clutched her temple, almost falling back. When she regained her balance, an invisible force shoved her across the floor, right into a wall.

"You have impressive skills, Moonlark." Lady Gisela stood up. "But not enough." She raised her hands, but before she could do anything-

BOOM! Another cloud, this time blue cloud appeared. At first, Percy thought it was Sophie, inflicting.

"Hey, Mom," Keefe grinned. Then he looked down, disappointed. "Ugh-that cloud was blue? I said I wanted the purple one!" He glared at Dex, who shrugged. "Well, so much for that dramatic entrance."

"Keefe, what are you doing?" Asked Sophie.

"Possibly saving your lives," said Keefe. "Uh...We shall talk later. Right now, we should go." Keefe slammed his fist against the wall after flipping up a panel.

Suddenly, they were all dropping down a chute. Percy held tight to Annabeth. "WHAT?" Percy heard Lady Gisela's voice. "They're trying to get away! You morons! Go get them!"

When they reached the ground, Percy tried to land on his back, to cushion Annabeth from the fall.

"Let's go," said Keefe, motioning at an opening. They could already hear the Neverseen tumbling down the chute.

The team turned to run, but Lady Gisela called something that made Keefe stop in his tracks.

"I'll give you another chance, Keefe. Don't forget. You've betrayed us all, but I'm still giving you one last chance."

"Come on, Keefe," whispered Sophie. Keefe glanced back one last time before turning to run.