Percy

While Percy listened to Sophie explain the rules of base quest, he couldn't help wondering when he was going home. Back to Camp Half-Blood. This new world was beautiful, but at the same time, it was overwhelming, being so much more different than his world.

"Do you think you're ready to play?" Sophie asked him.

"Um, yeah, I'm ready," he tried to sound confident. He didn't know why he was nervous.

Percy was on a team with Linh, Tam, and Keefe, while Sophie, Fitz, Biana, and Dex stood on the opposing team. The rules of base quest were simple. Find and reach the other team's base before they reached your base. Tam would be guarding their base by concealing it in the shadows, while Linh and him would be scouting for the other team's base.

"So, we run around trying to find their base?" Percy asked to clarify.

"Yeah, that's basically it. Sophie's probably guarding the base. Be careful," Linh told him.

"Uh, what is she going to do to me?" Percy asked nervously.

Linh grinned. "You'll see."

"Great. Just great," Percy stated.

"You'll be fine," Linh said, "She won't hurt you, if that's what you're thinking."

That was exactly what Percy was thinking, but he didn't tell Linh.

The two set out. They were only ten minutes into the game before Linh said, "I just saw something. I think that's their base!"

Suddenly, Percy was struck by something. An emotion. It made him feel happy and giddy, like he'd just been tickled. He didn't like being tickled. "Ah! What-" he began to giggle. "What is-" he was cut off by more giggling. "Ahhh-stop!" But he continued to giggle.

Linh was also giggling, holding her stomach. "Darn-" she started to say, when she was struck by more giggling. "Not fair, Sophie!" She yelled in between her laughing.

When Sophie stopped doing whatever she was doing, Linh and Percy dropped to the ground, gasping and out of breath. "We've lost time," said Linh.

"Yeah. What was she doing?" Percy questioned, "because that was seriously terrifying."

"It's called inflicting," Linh answered. "Sophie's an Inflictor, as well as a Telepath, a Polygot, and a Teleporter. Not to mention that she has incredible telekinetic skills, and a photographic memory," she explained.

Percy didn't know what some of those abilities were, but he was impressed. "Wow," was all he said.

"Yeah. Be sure not to make her angry," Linh joked.

Linh meant it lightly, but Percy reminded himself that he'd never want Sophie as an enemy, despite all the other things he'd faced.

"Don't worry," Linh assured him when she saw the look on his face. "Sophie would never hurt you. She'd never hurt any of her friends, even Keefe."

Percy studied Linh. "What did Keefe do?" He asked.

Linh's expression turned sad. "That's a story for Sophie or Keefe to tell you," she said. "Not me. Anyways, I think we just lost our game of base quest," she told Percy smiling. "Oh well."

The others met Percy and Linh. "Nice job," Linh told Sophie.

Sophie laughed. "Yeah, thanks," she said. "I didn't terrify you, did I?" She asked Percy.

"I hope I never have you as my enemy," Percy said lightly.

Sophie's expression fell a little. "You won't," she promised.

The boy called Dex elbowed Percy. "You should see it when she inflicts anger," he told him. "That's really scary and awesome."

"Yeah-totally," echoed Keefe. "I wanted that ability for forever."

"I don't do it often," said Sophie. "Only to the Neverseen, and only as last resort."

Percy shrugged. "Dex is right. Your ability is really awesome," he said.

"So is yours," Sophie told him.

Percy lay awake in a guest bed at Havenfield, wondering when he'd see Annabeth again.