Biana/Tam

Biana was pretty sure her fingers wouldn't twist anymore. If they did-they couldn't-her fingers would pop right out of her hands. She shuddered at that thought.

"You okay?" Tam whispered, concerned.

She managed to swallow. After rescuing Prentice, Biana thought that her life couldn't get any more dangerous. Boy, was she wrong. "I'm fine."

Tam bit his lip and looked away. Biana saw that he too was scared. "You ready for this?" He asked.

"Yeah. I am." Biana reached to twist her fingers again, then pulled away. Biana remembered a time when Sophie had kept pulling away at her own eyelashes. Back then, Biana thought, Sophie hadn't been sure of what to expect. She had been new in a strange world, and Biana couldn't have blamed Sophie for her nervous habits. But Biana had done this before, and she knew that she'd probably have to do it again, so she reminded herself that this was no time for nervous habits.

"Great," said Tam. "Let's go."

Before they started running, Biana paused and reached for Tam's hand. He took it, looking at her, surprised. She was surprised as well, but she squeezed his hand.

Tam grinned. "We can do this. We are not dying," he said.

Biana returned his grin. It wasn't often that Tam grinned.

The two of them vanished without a word. 

"Hey!" Tam called out. A group of the Neverseen were in the middle of a meeting, and they turned to find the person who had disrupted them. They saw no one. Lady Gisela stood up, narrowing her eyes. 

"You cannot fool me, Mr. Song," she said. "I have abilities of my own, you know."

Tam blinked in surprise. He wasn't quite expecting that. Linh had told him that Lady Gisela was powerful, but he hadn't planned on being seen. He raised his eyebrows at Biana, still invisible next to him. 

"Uhhhh...Yeah, I knew." Tam really wanted to strangle Lady Gisela for hurting his sister, but he held back. Now was not the time; now was the time to keep the Neverseen distracted.

Brant stood up next to Lady Gisela. "Do you want me to take him away?" He asked.

"No! Um, I mean, don't take me away," Tam said quickly.

Lady Gisela arched an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

"I have an um...Important thing to tell you guys. Very important. Very, very, VERY important," Tam said, trying to think of a new plan while stalling for more time. "Yes, I have a really important, uh, thing to tell you guys."

Lady Gisela sighed impatiently, examining her long nails. "Tell us, before we do something about you." Tam was glad she didn't know about Biana. Maybe Lady Gisela could see through shadow vapor, but she was still incapable of seeing Biana. Ha! Tam thought.

"Well? Aren't you going to tell us?" Lady Gisela asked. "You could start off with how you got in here."

Meanwhile, Biana slipped away. While Tam stuttered to find an explanation, Biana snuck next to Lady Gisela, and pushed her right into Brant with every ounce of hatred. She had just seen Alvar. He was frowning now, confused.

Lady Gisela stood back up, scowling. "Some one else is here." In realization, her eyes widened. "Her," Lady Gisela sneered. "The Vanisher. She's here."

Alvar stood up in surprise. "Biana?" He asked. "She's here? My sister?"

At that moment, Biana tackled her older brother. "You don't get to ask that," she said harshly in Alvar's ear. "I am not your sister. Not anymore."

"I-" Alvar was cut off.

"This is a distraction," said Lady Gisela.

"Yes, yes, It was. That's what you get for messing with my sister." Tam appeared. "Come on Biana."

The Neverseen didn't even try to stop Tam and Biana; they were too focused on scrambling, for they had just realized that their security alarms had been shut down. Every door was also opened.

Tam and Biana had completed their job.