Chapter 31

"I see you've got a new boyfriend, Molly, and you're serious about him," Sherlock starts. I look up from my red dress, puckering my red lips as well.

"Sorry, what?" Molly questions, quite confused.

"In fact, you're seeing him this very night and giving him a gift," Sherlock concludes.

"Take a day off," I snap quietly.

"Shut up and have a drink," Lestrade suggests.

"Yes, listen to Gabe," I whisper.

"Greg," Lestrade corrects.

"Right, yes. Greg Lestrade. I knew that."

"Oh, come on. Surely you've all seen the present at the top of the bag – perfectly wrapped with a bow. All the others are slapdash at best," Sherlock announces. He stands up and walks towards Molly, looking at the other presents which aren't so carefully wrapped. "It's for someone special, then." He picks up the well-wrapped present.

"I didn't-"

"The shade of red echoes her lipstick – either an unconscious association or one that she's deliberately trying to encourage. Either way, Miss Hooper has love on her mind. The fact that she's serious about him is clear from the fact she's giving him a gift at all. That would suggest long-term hopes, however forlorn; and that she's seeing him tonight is evident from her make-up and what she's wearing." Smiling smugly across to me, he starts to turn over the gift tag attached to the present. I look away, not saying a thing, knowing exactly where this is going.

"Obviously trying to compensate for the size of her mouth and breasts..." Sherlock trails off. He looks down at the tag. It's written in red ink.

Dearest Sherlock
Love Rachelle xoxo

Sherlock gazes at the words in shock when he realises the terrible thing that he has just done. He looks up to me slowly.

"You were wrong, and you always say the rudest of things," I snap. As I stair him down, trying not to break, he turns to walk away... but then stops and turns back to me.

"I am sorry. Forgive me," He asks. I look up, startled and amazed at such a human reaction from my friend. Sherlock steps closer to me.

"Merry Christmas, Rachelle Baines," Sherlock whispers in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. He leans forward and gently kisses me on the lips. I relax into the kiss, giving him more. It's a sweet and beautiful moment, which is instantly ruined by the sound of my phone ringing. I quickly pull myself off of him, grabbing my phone out of my pocket. I send an apologetic glance in Sherlock's direction.

"I knew something was off when you two started sleeping in the same bed," Hudson smiles while Sherlock explains to Molly and Lestrade. I answer the call of an unknown number.

"Hello?" I question.

"It's coming," I hear before a laugh. "The fall."

The line goes dead. I drop my phone. Everybody looks to me.

"Sherlock, now," I snap. "I'm sorry- nevermind, no I'm not. I need everybody out."

"What? Why?" Lestrade asks.

"No questions right now," Sherlock says for me. I look his way, nodding a thanks.

***

"I'm going out," Sherlock says.

"No, you can't leave. What if-" I start.

"I'll be fine," he mumbles before walking out.

***

I hear the sound of footsteps. I sit in front of the fireplace on a dining chair facing the sofa, and behind me stands one of Jim Moriarty's men. He is holding another pistol with an over-compensatory silencer attached and is aiming the gun at the back of my head. One of his partners is standing looking out of the window but turns when the door opens; the other stands near the sliding door into the kitchen. As Sherlock slowly strolls into the room with his hands clasped behind his back. I look up with a smile.

"Oh, hello Sherlock. Didn't expect to see you," I announce.

"Don't be like that. It'll do nothing to impede the flight of a bullet," Sherlock says and I laugh.

"The good old days," I mumble. Sherlock looks at the man.

"What a tender world that would be."

I just laugh again.

"I believe you have something that we want, Mr Holmes." The man says.

"Then why don't you ask for it?" Sherlock asks, referring to me. He walks closer and holds out his right hand towards me. I run up to him. He gently turns back the sleeve of my right hand and looks at the bruises on my wrists.

"It's either you or her," the man says. "But you know what I'm asking for, don't you, Mr Holmes?"

That's when I start looking for target points.

Carotid Artery
Skull
Eyes

My eyes drop to the mans arm and chest:

Artery
Lungs
Ribs

"I believe I do," Sherlock states. "First, get rid of your boys."

"Why?"

"We dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room," I mumble.

"You two, go to the car."

"Then get into the car and drive away. Don't try to trick me. You know who I am. It doesn't work," Sherlock says, clicking the 'k' in 'work'. "Next, you can stop pointing that gun at me."

"So you can point a gun at me?" The mans asks, looking towards me.

"I'm unarmed," Sherlock says as he spreads his arms and legs.

"Mind if I check?" The man asks.

"No, do you mind if I check?" I ask Sherlock with a wink.

"Oh, I insist." Sherlock says. I smile, knowing what's going to happen.