The Undeniable Attraction

Papers, Papers, Papers.

I was drowning in a sea of paperwork, nearly two hours I've been working on the damn pile that needed to be filtered through and it didn't even seem like I made a freaking dent in the ever growing pile of inventory, invoices, payroll and bills.

Groaning from the dull ache forming in my lower back, I leaned back in the horribly uncomfortable desk chair my dad had in here and stretched out my extremely sore back.

Glancing up at the two side by side 24" tv screens that our surveillance system was set up on, I spotted Uncle Carmine walking into the bakery with two of his buddies/guards as Dad came around the counter to greet him at the door with a back slapping hug.

Smiling, I pulled myself up and out of the awful office chair, casting a quick glance toward Richie, who had passed out on the small couch underneath the t.v.s, seeing that he was still out cold, before heading toward the kitchen to let them know that Mr. Greco had arrived and would most likely want his regular with his coffee, caramel macchiato cookies and almond biscotti.

After confirming with Lily, who boxed up all of our deliveries and who over saw the pre-packaging of our fresh baked goods, that she would have his order ready momentarily, I headed toward the front of the shop, were Mia had planted herself bagging up purchases and manning the till.

Smiling and greeting our regulars that came in nearly every morning for a coffee, pastry, a cookie or any of our other authentic Italian products and goods we sold.

Weaving around employees, I made my way to one of the two espresso machines we had and jumped in between the girls rushing to fill orders, to make two cappuccinos, a decaf café latte and a regular coffee black, two sugars for my Papa, Uncle Carmine and his guards.

Balancing the tray with the coffees, zigzagging around the employees working the counter, sharing in the morning banter I made my way toward the back corner booth were I knew Papa and Uncle Carmine would have headed. It was located up in the back of the bakery, set a good distance apart from the rest of the tables we had in here, out of hearing range.

"Good morning gentlemen." Greeting them as I approached the table, giving them full warning of my approaching arrival, giving them plenty of time to hush whatever topic they were discussing.

"Ah la mia principessa." Uncle Carmine thundered with a huge grin, chuckling at his overdramatic greeting I shifted the tray to place the cappuccinos in front of him and my Papa. {Ah my princess}

Turning to the two guys standing guard at Uncle Carmine's flanks, I handed the decaf café latte to the skinner of the two guys who gave a quick appreciative smile as he accepted the cup, the bigger burlier guy of the two, gave me a simple nod and wink as I passed over his black coffee.

Stepping back, I finally looked up to glance around the table and saw with surprise that there were more than just the four older men back there crowding around the smallish table.

Flinching back in shock, my eyes instantly landed on Marco, who was sitting a little farther back into the corner and was currently staring me down with an unreadable expression. I was caught of guard by his dangerously handsome features, before the fear of his retaliation for disregarding his command gripped at me.

Gulping nervously, I cast my eyes around the rest of the group and noticed Nicco standing close to Marco's back, with two more of the guards from last night close to Nicco's flanks. Shifting my eyes, I spotted Marco's cousin and a thankfully familiar and friendly face sitting next to him, Luciano Greco. Who was giving me a reassuring smile at the moment.

"I didn't realize that there were more of you guys back here." Gathering my composure and straightening my shoulders, plastering an uneasy smile on my face, even as my body quaked with fear and lust for the Italian god openly eying me.