I collapsed on my rotating swivel chair with a huff after placing the drinks on my desk. I turned on my sticky note-covered iMac and Canon printer. My gaze shifted to a framed photo of my father and me at my high school graduation. He was dressed in his military uniform with his arm draped over my shoulders while I stood there in a royal blue gown, with awful bangs and puffy eyes from crying. He had been shipped out 9 months prior—while he's out serving I'd stay with his best friend....my godmother, Sandra, who died a month later. I don't keep many photos of her except for the one in my purse because in most of the photos I have of her, she looked sickly and I don't want to remember her like that. I tore my eyes away before the tears began to fall.

I sat back in my chair at least I'm finally here. I threw my fist in the air. "Hallelujah," I whispered.

"Hallelujah, indeed." He said. I scrambled to my feet and smiled at him. He stood in the doorway of his office, arms folded, staring at me. He didn't look happy. Uh oh. I was struggling to keep my smile.

"Good morning—"

"My office, now." He said, cutting me off as he grabbed his coffee. He flashed me a disappointed look as he took a sip and casually walked into his office, leaving the door open. I slumped down onto my chair as soon as he disappeared inside. I swear I can't catch a break today. I slipped on my shoes then pulled out a handheld mirror. I stared at my appearance as I tried to flatten my flyaways. It didn't work. I'll fix it later. I got up and held my breath as I went inside.

I jumped when he closed the door behind me. I looked over my shoulder at him and tried to calm my racing heart as I watched him walk to his desk. He looked at me before sitting down. "Have a seat, Ms Cabrera," he said, in his normal chilled tone. That's good. His eyes never left mine as I took a seat in front of him. He folded his fingers on his desk, studying me. My nervous smile was rewarded by a breathy sigh. "I don't know what I'm going to do with you, Aubrey." He said, under his breath. I looked into his chocolate brown eyes and chewed on the inside of my lip.

"I don't know either," I said, sighing. He ran his fingers through his wavy, salt-and-pepper hair.

"Eleven times in a month." He said. I shrugged. The sunlight made his olive skin glow. His sharp jawline was marred by his five o'clock shadow. His nose was slightly crooked but it isn't noticeable unless you were up close. He wore a mahogany suit with a white shirt. "Do you know why you're here?" He asked. I shook my head. Of course, I did. "Your tardiness isn't becoming—"

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm trying my best...I mean—I'll try harder next time. Please, don't fire me." I babbled my plead. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Do not interrupt me when I'm speaking to you, Aubrey." He gritted through his teeth. I sat back, mouthing my apology. "If I was going to fire you, I would have done that already," he stated. "Despite your inability to be on time...you're a good employee and it'll break my poor old heart to see you go." He added, holding his heart melodramatically. I giggled. That's my goofy boss, I love him to death although he tends to scare the shit out of me. "It's my replacement who you should be worried about." I froze. Replacement? Is he joking?

I laughed but stopped abruptly when he didn't join me. "You can't—I mean—this place wouldn't be the same without you," I said as tears burned my eyes. Aubrey, you fucking crybaby—stop crying! I blinked away the tears. He jogged over and gave me a tight hug. His hug made me feel worse. It felt like I was about to lose all sense of security in my life. I had no one in New York besides him that made me feel safe and if I lost him I don't think I could bear it—I bit my lip to mask the sob about to escape my lips.

"Sweetheart, it's time for me to retire. The stress is becoming too much for me." He said, he used his thumb to wipe away my tears. As I stared into those eyes, my thoughts drifted to the heart attack he had a few months ago, it was terrifying. If I had lost him—I don't know what I would have done.