Chapter 10

Chapter 10

       One thing I hated the most was sports. I never really understood the hype about them. Yes, some people had different interests than me, but I didn't understand why my teacher decided to take us to a basketball game in the gym.

       Especially because we were a piano class.

       On the bright side, Isadora was in my class, so at least I could be with her during the game. She told me she wasn't that interested in sports as well, so we were both going to be bored as hell.

       We got to the gym where our school basketball team was practicing on court, as was the other team. Some people from the other school were here as well to watch the game.

       Isadora furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at the other basketball team before a sad look washed over her face. "Are you okay?" I asked.

       She looked at me and sighed. "I'm going to be honest and say no, not really. The other school....That's my old school and I really don't want to be reminded about what happened then. And if my so-called friends are here, that will make things worse."

       I really wanted to ask her what happened at her old school because it really seemed to bother here, but I didn't want to ask her about it when she already said she would tell me later.

       Without another word, Isadora began climbing the bleachers to an empty seat. I sighed and followed her. She found empty spots without too much people sitting down and I sat beside her.

       I didn't expect her to tell me what happened at her old school, but she suddenly did. "I had three friends," she started saying. "Well, I thought they were my friends. Odette, Blythe, and Sadie. And there was this guy I liked. So, I told them since they were my friends. One day, they told me that the guy I liked wanted to go out with me and they told me he wanted to meet at this restaurant on a Friday. I got ready for the date and went to the restaurant, but he never showed up. I thought he stood me up, but the next day, my 'friends' started laughing about it, telling me it was a joke and he didn't actually say he would go out with me. To make things worse, they took pictures of me waiting and they kept sending it to me to remind me about it. It hurt a lot. They thought they were just joking, but it didn't feel that way to me."

       "I'm so sorry, Isadora," I said. "What they did was horrible and they didn't deserve to be your friend."

       "That's not all," she said. "I still liked that guy and they knew it. But one day, at school, I found out that Odette and the guy I liked started dating over the weekend. She knew I liked him, but she still went out with him. I mean, it wasn't like I claimed him or anything, but she didn't even tell me. And I kind of felt like she was rubbing it in my face. She always kissed or hugged him around me and would always say stuff like 'Isn't he the sweetest?' I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but....It really, really hurt."

       "Don't let it get to you," I said. "Yes, it was a horrible thing for her to do, and the other two for going along with it, but don't let it stay in your life."

       Isadora sighed. "It's kind of hard, Dax. They still send me those pictures, even though I'm at a different school now. I don't like being reminded of the past. You wouldn't understand...." When I looked down, she realized how wrong she was. "Dax, I'm so sorry. I didn't....I mean....I'm sorry...."

       "It's okay," I said.

       "No, it's not," she said. "It was insensitive of me and I was being selfish and...."

       "Isadora," I interrupted before holding out my arms. "Come here." She scooted closer to me and I wrapped my arms around her. She snuggled into my chest, wrapping her arms around my waist. "You weren't being insensitive or selfish. You were letting your feelings out about what your so-called friends did to you, which was stupid of them. You're a really sweet girl and they didn't deserve to be friends with you."