Chapter 24

I woke up feeling warm, which was weird considering I was freezing cold because I didn't have a blanket last night.

I sat up, seeing Obito's navy blue and orange jacket over me. I could smell his scent on it and I actually liked it. I looked over seeing that he was sleeping on his side facing the other way, Rin was on my other side trying to keep closer to me because she's shyly trying to keep her distance from Kakashi, who was next to her. 

Obito must have put his jacket on me last night. That was nice of him, but I also felt bad that he had to sleep in the cold. I took his jacket off of me and put it back over him. 

I quietly and gently exited the tent so I wouldn't wake anyone up and started putting our things away. I also cleaned up the area where we had a fire so it wouldn't look like someone had stayed here, in case someone tried to follow us. 

Once I finished, I sat down on the grass and sorted through my weapon pouch to see if I was running low on anything. 

"Oh, there you are. I'm surprised you got up earlier than all of us,"

I turned around, seeing Rin was coming out of the tent.

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep well since I was on guard while trying to sleep," I replied and went back to my weapon pouch. 

This was awkward. 

Obito now came out of the tent and he looked half asleep. His hair was messy, his goggles were off, his jacket wasn't zipped up on him. He looked kind of cute.

"Morning guys," He said, still trying to wake up.

His morning voice was even cute.

I don't know why these thoughts are even crossing my mind. This isn't even the time or place to even be thinking about this. Plus, he's my best friend.

I ignored those thoughts and finished up my pouch. I closed it and stood back up.

"Hana?" Obito asks.

"What?"

"Have you felt a strange presence too?" 

I quirked an eyebrow at his question. It kind of caught me off guard. 

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"Like...it's dark and it just keeps following us. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid since we're in the Forest of Death," Obito clarified.

Dark presence? Could it be the person from the hospital or Rentaro? Was he here?

Kakashi came out of the tent.

"Just don't overthink it, I think I'm just being paranoid," Obito said and gathered his things.

Five minutes passed by and now we were all ready to go.

"Okay, let's go," Kakashi said. 

Kakashi led the way again and Rin was walking next to him. I was behind Rin while Obito was standing next to me. Strangely enough, Obito didn't seem like himself today. It looked like something was bothering him and it surprised me to see him acting so seriously, rather than his goofy self. 

We still had to get the Heaven scroll and I don't even know how we're going to get it. I thought about obtaining it from Nozomi, but that's probably not possible since her teammates have it secured.

"Kakashi?" Rin asks.

Kakashi didn't turn to her, but he was listening.

"How are we going to get the Heaven scroll? If we don't find one soon, we won't be able to participate in the final rounds," Rin asked.

"I thought maybe we should ambush a group that we find or a group nearby, if possible," Kakashi responded.

Rin nodded.

I looked over at Obito, who was still feeling down. He looked like he was too distracted to stay focused. I wanted to know what was on his mind so badly too.

He noticed I was staring and looked over at me. We both made eye contact on accident and I looked away quickly, my cheeks flushing pink from embarrassment. Stupid me, now he probably thinks I'm weird for just staring at him like that. 

After an hour of more uncomfortable silence, I couldn't stand it. I had to know what was bothering Obito.

"Obito," I said.

"Yeah?" He looked at me.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked.

He smiled, but it didn't match his eyes. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just...I feel like that weird presence is still following us." He said.

"If you say so," I replied, still unsure. 

I saw something lying on the ground and then realized it was a scroll. I went over to inspect it, but Kakashi grabbed my wrist, holding me in place.

"Kakashi, what gives? It's a scroll!" I protest.

"Hana, it's a trap. Whoever put that out there, they want someone gullible to fall into it so they can ambush us," Kakashi sighed.

"Oh...I knew that..." I trailed off in embarrassment.

Kakashi rolled his eyes, muttering under his breath. 

We continued walking around, trying to find another team who has a Heaven scroll and Obito's mood wasn't improving either. It was starting to worry me even more.

What if he isn't being paranoid? Maybe there is someone following us and we don't know it because they're skilled in being hidden. The only person I could think of who may be following us is Nozomi, but I wasn't sure it was her.

If it was, she would've tried to attack me by now. 

Then again, if there was someone following us, why didn't Kakashi or Rin notice? Kakashi's skills are sharp. He's a prodigy. He should be noticing it by now.

"Hey," I said. "How many more days do we have left in this forest?" 

"I'd say roughly about-WATCH OUT!" Kakashi shouted suddenly.

An explosion happened and someone tackled me to the ground. I wasn't able to see who it was because of the dust. 

The person who had tackled me stood up and pulled me up with them. They were rough when they pulled me up.

Once the dust had cleared, I saw it was Rin.

"Thanks, Rin," I said. "I probably would've gotten seriously hurt."

She smiled, but something seemed off about it.

"Yeah," 

Her grip tightened on my wrist. 

"Rin, you're hurting my wrist,"

She let go and I gave her a weird look while rubbing my wrist. What the heck is her deal?

"Let's go look for Kakashi and Obito," I said and she nodded.

We looked around, not finding anyone and Rin suddenly turned around.

"What's up? Did you find them?" I ask while looking around.

Rin was oddly quiet. I turned around to see what was going on, but she had a devilish smirk plastered on her face and she suddenly stepped forward, pointing a kunai at me.

"R-Rin?"

She was starting to freak me out now.

"Shut up!" 

She started to corner me.