I sighed and looked into his eyes, “not really.”

“Okay, well I’ll drive you home, and I’ll call you tonight.” I smiled shyly and left the room with him in tow. We got outside to find Kayla had abandoned us for home, and I actually needed the ride anyways. The car was pretty quiet, seeing as neither of us had much to say. He couldn’t pull into my driveway because there was a black Honda Civic that I didn’t recognize behind my dad’s car. Instead, Chase pulled up to the curb and dropped me off there.

“Bye Chase,” I told him before turning towards my house.

“Wait,” he said, stopping me from closing the door. “Call me right before you go to bed okay?” I nodded and closed the car door. He drove off, and left me facing across the street. Slowly, I turned on my heels and looked my house dead on. As I stared at the front porch, I was faced with two options. I could run as fast as I could to my room and hopefully avoid my dad, or I could try sneaking in through my window. Seeing as I didn’t exactly trust myself on the latter, I prepared to make a mad dash for my room.

“On your mark…get set…go!” I muttered to myself before I took off into a sprint. I took the porch steps in one leap, opened the door and ditched my backpack on the welcome mat.

“Not so fast young lady!” My father’s voice stopped me halfway up the steps.

“Damn it!” I whispered under my breath.

“Watch your mouth!” a woman’s voice scolded me. My whole body tensed up at the familiarity of that voice, it would be impossible not to have recognized it.

I was little, no older than ten on the night that it happened. My dad was asleep upstairs and I had woken up in the middle of the night with a need for water. Not wanting to wake up my parents, I crept down the stairs on my tiptoes. I had gotten about halfway down the steps when I heard a shuffling in the kitchen. The curious thing I was, I made sure you couldn’t hear me at all, and poked my head around the wall that separated the kitchen from the hallway. My mom was there, scribbling a note on the counter. She was dressed up as if she were about to go on vacation, with suitcases at either side of her. “Mommy, what are you doing?” I asked her, revealing myself.

She jumped about a mile into the air, as she clearly wasn’t expecting me to be awake at that time of night. “What are you doing out of bed, sweetie?” she asked me.

“That doesn’t answer the question,” I replied. She stopped what she was doing and got on the same level as me.

She got straight to the point and looked me dead in the eyes, “I’m leaving, but I won’t be gone forever, trust me on that, I will come back for you one day. It may not make sense now, but it will some day.”

“Why do you have to go?” I asked, tears brimming at my eyes.

She sighed, “I just have to. I will be back one day, don’t you worry about that.”

“But what if you get lost?” I asked. “How will anyone find you?”

“Take this number, if I ever get lost, I’ll call.” She planted a firm kiss on my forehead, took her bags, and was gone.

“Chastity! Chastity, are you okay?” my mother’s voice rang to me, calling me out of the memory. My eyes narrowed and I shook off the hand that I hadn’t known she placed on me.

“Don’t touch me,” I spat out venomously.

“Don’t speak to your mother in that tone!” my father reprimanded me.

“Why shouldn’t I, she’s hardly my mother anymore,” I replied.

“She’s your mother none the less and I expect you to treat her as such.”

“Oh really? Because last I checked, Kayla’s mom was more of a mother than she will ever be.” I practically shouted at him. “And who are you to be defending her anyways? She left you too!”

“It’s more complicated than that,” she spoke up.

“Complicated? How f*cking complicated could it possibly be?”

“Don’t use that language in this house!” my father yelled at me.

“Fine, then I’ll go over to Kayla’s! At least her mom was there!” I shouted. Just before I got to the door I turned to my so-called “mom”. “How could you even try coming back after all of these years and call yourself a mother? You left just when things get tough for girls, and you expect me to just let you back into my life?” She opened her mouth to respond but I cut her off. “Don’t bother, okay? It’s going to take a lot more than just showing up here after seven years for me to forgive you. You’ll be lucky if I ever talk to you again.”

With that I threw on a jacket, grabbed my bag and my keys, and stalked out of the house.