Bucky Barnes - Promise

This is my first ever imagine book! I felt like instead of putting my Marvel one-shots in my other book, I'd put them here with some imagines too. This one was loosely based on a dream I had where Bucky didn't fall off the train, and as the war ended, Bucky and I hugged. Just a reminder that I don't write anything inappropriate (maybe the odd Nick Fury-style language). I hope you guys enjoy it!

(Y/N) is your name

**********

(Pretend the picture is Bucky with messy hair ♥︎)

It was the night before Bucky would leave for the army. He was assigned to the 107th infantry, and Steve was just as paranoid about him going alone as you were. You three had been friends for longer than you could remember. When Bucky and Steve went on a double date with two other girls, Connie and Bonnie, you felt so lonely, and upset. You loved Bucky, but you were too afraid to show it. He loved you too, but he was also too scared to show it, and he thought he didn't have a chance with you.

You wished you could join the army and fight alongside him, just to make sure he was safe. You were almost sure he didn't feel the same way for you. Once he and Steve returned from their dates, Bucky headed to your house. He and Steve always visited; it felt like a second home to them. You'd always despised of any girl he would go out with. You felt like every single one of them was wrong for him, and he felt that too. There was one person you'd told about these feelings; Steve. You trusted him with your life, so why not with your love? He'd sworn to never say anything, even though he made a huge fuss the first time you told him.

Bucky burst through your door, and marched right to your side.

"(Y/N)," Bucky smiled. He then saw the miserable look on your face and frowned, swinging his arm around you, "What's wrong?"

You just looked up at him, a tear falling down your face and more welling up in your eyes, "Do you have to go?"

"The country needs me. I'm sorry," he hugged you closer to his side.

"What if you don't come back?" You let those tears slip freely down your cheeks and you could see one fall down Buck's.

He paused for a moment, "Promise me you won't forget me?" He couldn't look at you. He couldn't think of losing you.

You smiled and wiped the tears off your face, "How could I? I'm with you till the end of the line." You'd always remind him of that, it'd been the most memorable thing he ever said to you, "I promise."

He hugged you so tightly you wanted to cry. What if this was the last time he'd ever see you? He had to make it count.

He swallowed, and looked into your eyes, "If this is the last time we'll see each other, I gotta tell you something."

You looked right at him, you couldn't take your eyes off his.

"I-I.." He took in a deep breath.

Suddenly, your mom walked in and saw your tear stricken face and frowned as she saw the both of you saying your goodbyes.

"Buck?" She called. He looked up at her.

"Your mother's at the door. She wants you home to say goodbye before you fall asleep here and forget to go home, like usual," she half-laughed.

The two of you (with Steve every once in a while), had fallen asleep in each other's houses. You meant more to each other than you knew.

"Alright. Tell her I'll be out in a minute," Bucky smiled and then frowned as he remembered he had to leave you now.

He looked back at you and took in the colour of your eyes. He'd always thought they were beautiful.

"I have to go," he frowned. Your eyes were filling with tears once again.

"Don't cry, please," he wiped a tear off your cheek.

You wrapped your arms around him, as tightly as you could and tried not to cry so you wouldn't stain his uniform. You hugged for a few minutes, and your life with Buck had flashed in your mind. You let go so you could cry. He had to get up before your presence would keep him there.

"Bye, Buck," you smiled with tears still streaming down your face.

"See you soon," he looked back at you before leaving. He had to lighten the mood, and bring a flicker of hope to the both of you.

It'd been a week, and you'd been informed that Steve had also been accepted to the army. You were alone. You had no one.

It had been quite a while, and you had heard news that Bucky's whole unit had been captured by HYDRA. You thought that was it. You'd never see Bucky again. You were wrong.

You'd received news that Steve, now Captain America, had rescued the remainder of the 107th. You immediately rushed over to where the army was situated and when you saw Bucky, you went weak at the knees. You thought he'd died.

"(Y/N)!!" Bucky's smile was so wide that he bordered on looking like the Cheshire Cat.

"BUCKY!!" You rushed over towards him and gripped him in such a tight hug you thought his bones would break. You didn't let go, and neither did he. You eventually let go, and saw Steve, who was now quite a bit taller than you and was no longer a skinny asthmatic.

You hugged him and he hugged you. You had to talk to him.

"Steve?" You started, "If Bucky is ever in danger, and you think he won't make it, please tell him. Tell him I love him, please."

"No," Steve smiled.

"Excuse me?"

"How about you tell him yourself?"

"I can't do that!" You panicked, "I'm scared."

"So is he."

You smiled and rushed over to where Bucky last was. He was getting his bruises and scratches look at by a nurse. She seemed interested in Bucky, but he wasn't even looking in her direction. He was looking for you, because, as you entered his sight, a huge smile spread across his face. He got up and ran towards you. You hugged again; his warmth was ever so comforting. He looked into your eyes and his face inched closer to yours. Suddenly you realised what he was doing. His lips met yours. It was a swift peck, but it still made your heart beat wildly out of your chest.

"I love you," he smiled, "I had to tell you I felt the same way."

"You knew?"

He laughed and pointed at Steve.

"I'm gonna kill him," you smiled, not moving your eyes from Bucky's.

"When he told me, I thought I was dreaming, or dead," Buck grinned, "I love you so, so much."

"I love you too, Buck." The two of you kissed again, just quickly and just a peck. It was all you wanted.

Steve was watching, a huge smile on his face. His two best friends were in love, and that made him happy.

You stayed the night, and had a "sleepover" with your two best friends. They would get into so much trouble if someone found you, but they didn't care. This could be the last time you see each other. You and Bucky cuddled together all night, and Steve stood watch. There was nothing bad, just innocent cuddles. This was all you ever wanted; nothing more, nothing less. You were truly happy.

The next day, you had to leave before Steve and Bucky went on their new mission to the last HYDRA base. Bucky had said he loved you so many times, accompanied by heaps of cuddling and innocent kisses. He was your best friend in the entire world, heck, he was your entire world at that moment.

The next day, you found out Bucky had fallen off the train.

You never saw him again, and you never forgot him. You kept your promise.