Chapter 41

K E N T

"That was awesome!"

I happily squealed as soon as I found Jansen and Kevan backstage. I still couldn't believe how well Jansen performed, considering it was his first dance with the pep squad – ever. Although I noticed some signs of nervousness, I thought he pulled it off brilliantly. I tapped him on the shoulder with excitement, and he only returned a sheepish grin.

"That was sick! You danced like a pro!" I added, beaming with pride. I couldn't stop smiling, feeling like a proud brother.

Jansen was panting, so I decided to let him catch his breath first and turned to Kevan. Geez! His face was adorned with a rosy blush, and beads of sweat trickled down his forehead. I resisted the urge to grab my handkerchief and wipe away the sweat.

"Great job, Kev!" I exclaimed, giving him a sincere smile. I reached out and gently shook his hand. "As always...you were awesome! Ang galing!"

He smiled, revealing his beautiful set of teeth, but then began chewing his lower lip. Ugh, he did that thing again. I couldn't explain kung bakit nasi-sexyhan ako kapag kinakagat niya ang kaniyang labi. I soon caught myself imagining I was the one biting his lips instead. Sure, I'd nibble it gently, I'd relish its softness while caressing his...w-w-wait, what?! Geez, having those crazy thoughts again! I instantly shoved those thoughts aside.

"K-Kent?" he chided.

He slowly pulled his hand away, which made me realize I had been holding it for far too long. Spell AWKWARD!

"Oops, s-sorry!" I stammered, feeling a bit embarrassed.

An awkward silence followed, but then I went on asking how everything was and how his day went, which he prudently answered. Kaso, I couldn't shake off the nagging feeling that Kevan had been somewhat distant with me this past week. Something felt off, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I had been attending almost all of their practices this week, silently watching from the sidelines habang ang best friend ko at si Kevan ko ay busy kaka-tumbling at kung ano-ano pang acrobatics sa rubber mats. Watching Kevan during their practices always sounds like a good idea. I've got nothing to do at home anyway, and I'm more than happy to drive Kevan home everyday.

I was about to ask him about his plans for the weekend when we were interrupted by the loud shrieks and applause of the giggling crowd backstage. Nag-unahan sila palabas ng pinto matapos tawagin ng emcee ang University Boyband.

"Seriously? People these days..." I thought, unable to resist scoffing and rolling my eyes.

I know Jansen too well that I easily picked up a hint of annoyance on his face. When I glanced his way, I noticed him smirking and slowly shaking his head. He didn't seem to like that boyband either. Puro lang naman sila pa-cute and – what's that term again? Pabebe? Yeah, I guess, that's it. We both find that boyband too corny, or cliché – but people, especially girls, apparently buy into that sort of gimmicks.

They later on started singing Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud. Hey, for the record, I like Ed Sheeran, okay? But I just find the song, Thinking Out Loud, a bit overrated. Isn't it?

"Pakshet, yung kanta!" I heard Kevan say.

I initially thought Kevan was merely reacting to the song or perhaps the boyband, but I grew puzzled when I instantly noticed fear on his face. He looked as though he was seeing something scary for the first time. Parang natataranta siya na di alam ang gagawin. He looked frightened — of what!?