Chapter 17

This chapter is written by the editor AKA Pixie

Ross POV
.....................

I beep the horn at Jess as she watches my car roll off the curb and out of sight, I hope she finds someone else to hang out with. I told Adam to look after her so she should be fine, I hope.

My hands move slowly with the steering wheel as my eyes shift from the lights to the drowsy passenger next to me. Max is looking out the window with solemn eyes, occasionally picking at his seatbelt. I try not to let my mind wander over what Max said about his parents but I can't help let curiosity get the better of me.

"So Max." I let my eyes peek over at his curled body on the seat, he just gives me a 'mmhmm' as confirmation he's listening "what do you mean your parents are gone?"

His body stiffens a little and I immediately regret asking but then his shoulders loosen and all he does is sigh before opening his mouth and saying words I never wanted to hear.

"They're ...they're dead." His eyes start shinning again and I let him cry into the seatbelt. I never wanted to know that, or ... that just sounds so wrong but it makes so much sense, no wonder he always walks home alone or anywhere alone, no wonder he's so uptight and insecure about everyone and everything. Oh Max.

"Oh Max I'm so sorry." I breathe, rounding the corner and stopping at a red light.

"It's alright, you had to find out sooner or later I guess." He mumbles while letting his body relax a bit "at least that's out of the way, where are we going again?"

"I'm taking you to my place." I press down on the pedal and the car drives off again, driving at nights is always relaxing to me. I think it's the constant movement of colourful lights and dark streets but right now that feelings replaced with worry.

"Your place?" Max moves around in his seat glancing out the window "are we now?

I ignore the smile playing on his lips and concentrate on the road ahead of me, white line after white line blending into the darkness and the flurry of lights. My phone buzzes in my jacket pocket and before I can attempt to turn it off Max has it in his hands.

"Oh hey Jin!"

My hands grip tighter on the wheel and I pull off to the side so I can concentrate on getting the phone back, I do not want a drunk Max talking to Jin.

"yeah I'm with Ross" he chuckles "yep! Everything's fine."

"Max give me the phone" I demand reaching over but he lifts it up so I can't reach and pretends to talk to me.
"no it's okay get back into bed Ross" He laughs.

My jaw drops open and I can already feel my cheeks flush red, Max's face bends into a pleased grin as he continues talking through the phone.

"Look Jin I would love to chat but I have some unfinished business to attend to" and with that Max lets Jin's static yells drown out as he hangs up. I try to collet myself but Max holds my gaze, a devious smirk making its way across his face and I can't help but feel a little nervous.

"Max, I'm going to forgive you because you're drunk" I say trying to assert my authority, he just tilts his head slightly "and that it was Jin but try not to lie next time."

I put the car back into gear and I'm about to pull out when a thought strikes me...Shelby will be home and she will not be happy when I bring home a drunk Max, what if he does something stupid.

"You finally started thinking huh?" Max interrupts my thoughts.

"Well where do I go then!" My mind races for an answer as the night gets later.