Chapter 10: A Frozen Nightmare's Illusion

Pic of Gray Fullbuster

(Gray's POV)
-after Erza and Natsu left-

My eyes open to take in my surroundings. Apparently I had slept on the couch for a while. The bed before me, I found it empty. I propped myself up, trying to look around for Wendy in the room. She was sitting in the dinning room, talking to Carla. My eyes were still adjusting to the afternoon rays of light coming from the open curtains that belonged to the balcony glass door.

I could barely manage to hear their conversation. They were probably trying avoid bothering me while I slept. The only thing I was able to hear was whispers and murmurs coming from the girl and her cat. The words vision and future seemed to be thrown a lot.

I stood up and walked towards the girls, scratching the back of my neck.

Wendy was the first one to notice me. Her eyes widened at the sight of me. Maybe she didn't notice when I woke up a few seconds ago but the covered her surprise with a small, nervous smile before she spoke up.

"Did you sleep well, Gray?" She said in a hushed voice, barely audible. Carla then turned her head to look at me.

"You could say more or less." I told her as I pulled out a chair to join their conversation. "So what were you two talking about?"

Carla gave me an uncertain look before glancing at Wendy. Did I just get the cold shoulder...by a cat?...stupid puns coming to my head.

Wendy swayed in her chair from side to side. She then stood up and went to the kitchen to grab a cup of water. I could tell she was thinking about something she wasn't comfortable with. Her brown eyes full of worry. She sighed before speaking. Something was troubling her, and it was making me curious.

"Carla was just telling me one of her recent visions. Something that had to do with....."

I tilt my head to the side in confusion. I knew Carla could see into the future for a while now. It's helped a lot of times before but what could she have seen in her visions now?

"With what? What happened?" I ask.

I saw Wendy tense at whatever she was thinking. Dammit, what could it be?

"He was dying, Gray." Wendy said while lowering her gaze. She was fighting her discomfort, if her squeezing her elbows was anything to go by, all because of the words coming from her mouth. Carla placed her paw on her shoulder, giving her comfort.

"Who was?" I asked, starting to get worried. There was silence filling the room we were in. After 5 heartbeats, Carla looked back from me to Wendy. I couldn't stand her silence any longer. If any of my friends is in danger, I need to know.

Wendy's silence was killing me.

Wendy sighs before answering my question.

"Jack. Carla saw Jack dying."

"What?!" I exclaim.

My eyes widened at the unexpected news. I know I'm being to quick judging the guy, which I've put plenty of thought on the topic while I slept, but I'm still pissed off at him for spontaneously leaving his team behind, I mean, who does that?! But Erza was right about him still being one of us. This was still his first mission and there's been a lot of weird things happening.