IX: Mistakes

Song: Come Back For Me by Jaymes Young

Who am I?

"My head knocks against the stars.

My feet are on the hilltops.

My finger-tips are in the valleys and shores of

universal life.

Down in the sounding foam of primal things I

reach my hands and play with pebbles of

destiny.

I have been to hell and back many times.

I know all about heaven, for I have talked with God.

I dabble in the blood and guts of the terrible.

I know the passionate seizure of beauty

And the marvelous rebellion of man at all signs

reading 'Keep Off.'

My name is Truth and I am the most elusive captive

in the universe."

--- Carl Sandburg

Rose's POV:

Though I did not recognize his name, I knew that Mason was important as the words. Once we had said our formalities, Mason turned and started to walk away from me. I had followed Mason to where I assumed to be his house as well as the celebration.

I walked with the omega who had bitten me on the way back which was very displeasing to say the least. I was glad that he was still in his wolf form as I was sure he would have made snide comments otherwise.

I was tempted to shatter a few of his ribs or a leg, but I restrained myself. I had no idea what they were planning.

We had been walking for at least six hours. I didn't ask questions. I wanted more time to observe Mason's ways before judging his style of business.

The wound that scattered its lacerations on my abdomen didn't heal as quickly as it should have. I could not feel the pull of my power wanting to take control, but rather felt a strange sense of peace. My power had lessened and I had no idea where it went.

We arrived at a large mansion that seemed unusually quiet. The house was a Victorian style mansion, which reminded me of my home. The paneling of the house was a dark green and the dormers were brown.

Everything about this building screamed masculinity, but the person who designed it obviously had great taste. Trees encompassed the area which made it difficult to determine what time it was. 

I glanced around to the other people surrounding me, noticing that Mason was observing my reaction. I held his gaze before he walked over to me.

He raised his arm for me to take as we walked. I reluctantly slid my arm with him, noticing that his blood did not smell as strong as Jace's. A stab of pain squeezed my heart at his name.

I didn't even know him, yet he affected me as if we had been divorced after a century worth of marriage. Images of us hunting and ruling our people together, even just being near enough that I would be able to smell his intoxicating blood - it was all that I wanted. 

"I will explain everything after the celebration, but as our guest of honor your feast begins!" Mason announced.

We were welcomed by a hundred and fifty or so men in a dining hall. I thought that I had been wrong when I calculated that all the wolves in the room were men, but indeed they were. I wondered if the pack had any women.