VII: Burning Weakness

Song: Anthem by Emancipator

"Anything that you cannot sacrifice pins you. Makes you predictable, makes you weak."

― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Rose's POV

Rage coursed through me as I thought of another woman laying her hands on my beloved. I searched for the scent that engulfed my beloved across his entire pack, but I could not find it. I thought I had recognized the scent of the woman, but I could not place where I had known her from. She was a mystery.

I wanted to confront him in front of his pack as well as my colony, but now would not be the time as we would have years to work out our differences. My brain became muddled at the sound of his voice.

The moment that his claim sliced through the brisk air of the forest, every being had stopped. His alpha voice made many in his pack cower and those in my colony bare their teeth at them. The war had come to an abrupt halt as we stood apart from each other, breathless.

There had only been two casualties, both from my colony as they had not followed my orders. Part of me wanted vengeance for their deaths, but the other half wanted to applaud my beloved for the strong pack that he led. My soul's desire for my beloved was strong, but as I regained my senses I was appalled that I had been chosen for a werewolf.

Hundreds of emotions ran through me as I met his gaze. My colony inched forward ever so slightly as if to encourage me to continue the battle, but I shook my head. I wanted nothing more than to celebrate the finding of beloved as now I could rule over my colony in peace rather than fighting my father for the position.

"I think it best if we speak in a more suitable place," I spoke quietly for only my beloved's ears to hear.

Rowan, who stood beside me looked repulsed at the idea of me accepting him. I snapped my head to his direction and sent him a glare. I would not allow anyone to disrespect my beloved as he was soon to be the king to reign over him.

Rowan bowed his head in respect as he realized that I had scolded him. I put aside my ire that had been brewing for the other woman as I took another step towards the man whose soul was intertwined with my own. He held my gaze as neutrality overcame his features.

I knew there was a war inside him that could not be won with peace. He took a step back from me, even though I gravitated towards him I stayed in place.

"What is your name?" His deep voice resonated through my body, making me shudder with joy, though it was emotionless.

"Rose Greer," I stated, confidently.

I took immeasurable amounts of pride in my name as I knew it made many shake with fear, but my beloved did not look fazed or impressed. I noticed that some of his pack members did shrink back a few steps, though his betas snarled at them.

I frowned at the coldness that entered his steel blue eyes. He stood rigidly with his arms crossed over his chest. He towered over me, but I was not as intimidated as he meant for me to be. He being alpha would have no effect over me becoming a queen. I refrained from thinking he was as cold hearted as he seemed. His entire being screamed rage as he gazed at me.

"I, Jace Hart reject you, Rose Greer as my mate," he growled.

My eyes widened and my body became paralyzed at his words. His words split my soul in two. His words were razors to my heart as they slashed into my heart repetitively, not slowing down as they sunk in further. I thought that I had been mistaken.