IV: Theodore

Song: I Found by Amber Run

"The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn."

-David Russell

Jace's POV

The walk back to my territory, though it was technically all my territory now which was completely silent. The ones that surrendered mourned the loss of family and friends and their alpha.

Many had gone back with Bauer. I hoped that he had gotten home safely as he had been in critical pain. My amplified hearing could hear those who had not been put out of their misery wallowing in pain. I tried to shut them out, but the task was harder than I thought possible.

"Go back and kill them. They deserve it anyways," Shepard sneered.

I shook my head, attempting to clear my wolf's negative attitude. Many of the people I traveled home with were still in wolf form as they would heal faster, but their wolves gave them the comfort they needed.

If I were to look behind me to any of the wolves, their stares would be directed at me as I could feel their suspicions of my wolf. I wanted to show them that he was real and that I was not deceiving them. I kept my gaze straight ahead and neglected to check on my pack's health. Alex stayed by me the entire trip, constantly attempting to sneak a glimpse in my direction.

"Alex, stop looking at me. I get that I am filthy, but didn't your mother teach you not to stare," I said with annoyance.

He muttered a quick apology, though something was bothering him. I had no choice but to continue to walk next to him with was an antagonizing task.

"Spit it out. What is your problem?" I asked Alex agitatedly.

"Uh... I don't know how to say this..."

"Alex..." I warned.

"I know you still love Ophelia," he blurted.

My heart leapt into my throat at the sound of her name. I tried to mask my features with a neutral expression, though I knew Alex could basically read my thoughts. I sighed, scratching the back of my neck. To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement since apparently my gamma watched my every move.

"Once you find your mate, you will forget about Ophelia."

I nodded, hoping he would drop the subject, but of course the kid never knew when to shut up.

"Why don't you search for her?" He asked, attempting to be innocent, but he had clearly heard the rumors as everyone else had.

"Have you ever thought that perhaps not everyone has a mate?" I snarled, questioning him rhetorically.

"But... The Moon Goddess wouldn't do that to our pack. We're her favorite pack of all."

I raised my eyebrows, but stayed silent. Alex was pondering as his face told me he was deep in thought. I hoped my silence would encourage his own. My hopefulness was hopeless.

"Jace, can I ask you a question?"

"Alpha...." I demanded that my betas call me alpha when we were in front of a substantial amount of other people, but Alex always conveniently forgot to.

"Right... So Alpha Jace," I rolled my eyes at his way of finding loop holes.

"Is your wolf weak? Is that why you never fight with him?" Alex asked.

A snarl escaped my throat as I whipped my head towards him. Driven on purely instinct, I grabbed his neck, choking him, and brought his face close to mine as I spit in his face,