III: Chained

Song: Human by Aquilo

"One hand washes the other.

(Manus Manum Lavat)"

― Seneca

Rose's POV

I charged into my parent's office without a second thought as soon as I heard the words come out of my father's mouth. I didn't know whether I should be overjoyed or angry.

On one hand, I had looked forward to seeing the man who would be my beloved and Rowan had no intention of marrying me, but on the other hand I had always had an infatuation with Rowan.

I was filled with ecstasy at the thought of destroying the pack and people that I detested more than anything else in the world - the Silent Claw pack.

"Is it true?" I shouted at my parents.

A look of surprise washed over my mother's features, but my father was unfazed by my sudden outburst.

"What do you mean?" My mother asked, feigning innocence.

I sighed exasperatedly and ran a hand through my long, thick brown hair.

"Please Mother, do not play coy. I need to know of my wedding day as well as when I will be invading the wolves' territory," I said, irritated.

My mother and father exchanged a glance as they took in my appearance since I had not changed from the outfit I had worn to battle earlier. I did not falter in my confidence as I glared at my parents.

"Sit down, we do indeed need to speak with you," my father said calmly.

I remained standing without hesitation as I defied my father. He inhaled deeply as I was testing the small amount of patience that he had.

"Must you today, Rose. I do not have the time for your childish ways."

"Childish ways?" I scoffed, "How can you say that to me when I just defeated an entire colony?"

He raised his eyebrows at me as if I were lying to him. The nerve of this man.

"So you deny bringing one home with you?" He asked.

My defiant demeanor instantly dropped as I realized that he was correct - I had brought one home with me, but for different reasons than he suspected. He took in notice of my dropped gaze and motioned for me to sit in front of him and Mother.

I walked around the back of the chair to sit in its leather luxuries. He smiled at me which I returned in greeting, knowing that it would seem disrespectful if I did not.

"Would you like to explain to us as to why you brought a Fendrel home with you? You were supposed to kill them all, not give one to us as a gift. The dungeons have enough prisoners in there without you needing to add to it!" Father yelled at me.

"I did what needed to be done in order to protect my team as well as all of our sanity. Can you not hear her cries?"

"That was not your call to make. You follow orders until you give the orders. Do you understand me?"

"You would've done the same thing! I did everything in accordance to what you have taught me. Victoria will be a much better warrior if she has someone to come home to. She now has someone to fight for. Isn't that what you want me to have too? Who are we to deny her that happiness?"

My father opened his mouth to speak, but my mother's hand squeezed his. She smiled encouragingly at me.

"I thought you didn't believe in finding your beloved?" She asked me.