V: Thirst

Song: Heathens by twenty øne piløts

"I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."

― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings   

Rose's POV

I was dangerous. The moment that I would be unshackled would the moment I killed my own colony. As weak as my body was, my mind was racing with aggressive thoughts. The door slowly swung open as he stepped through the door. My fangs were on full display as I bared them at him.

He did not look fazed by my unnatural behavior as he had seen much worse. He came closer to me, but I growled at him to keep his distance. I was acting like a ferocious beast, though I would not have put it past someone to think that of me. He sat down an arms length in front of me - not that I would've been able to touch him anyways.

My arms were lifted high above my head, supported with the silver and leather cuffs around them. My legs and ankles were strapped to the wall. It was all I had left in me to not let my body give out from the blood draining from my arms. I had endured worse, but it was the bloodthirst that I could not undergo again.

"Get away from me," my voice abraded the silence.

He shook his head, a small smile forming on his lips. Did he think this was funny? He outraged me.

"Rowan... I'm warning you. Once I get out of this, you'll be the first I kill."

He glanced up at me, though his face became sober. The smile he had on his lips vanished with a certain coldness that replaced his jovial eyes.

"And you think that would be satisfactory to kill your soon to be husband?" He questioned angrily.

I was taken aback. The beast in me subsided as I took in his words.

"You're... going through with it?" I asked, astonished.

"Your father can be very persuasive."

I knew the tone that Rowan had spoken with. His voice was laced with defeat as well as pent up depression and rage. My father had threatened him.

"What did he say to you?"

"He would kill my family if I did not marry you," he deadpanned.

"Why don't you leave?"

"Where would I go?"

Reluctance grew inside of me as I muttered,

"You do not have to marry me. I have found my beloved."

Rowan's head snapped towards me and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"No, you didn't. How could you have?"

I was quiet for a moment before I whispered,

"I will lie if I have to. You're the most important person in my life. If it takes your happiness to show you that then I will do whatever I have to."

"Who are you..." He muttered in bewilderment.

He avoided my gaze as he knew that he had won what he had wanted. I knew that it was not what he wanted to converse about. My almost nonexistent heart began to shred. Rowan was my knife and I would let him lacerate my entire being. He was my butcher and I the lamb. He cleared his throat, standing awkwardly across from me. I let the ice inside my soul seep into the my weakness. I glared at him with a hostile gaze.