The Boy

After I eat, I grab my leather backpack, pulling out black skinny jeans and a brown halter top.
He doesn't even have to knock in the door before I know he's here. "Can I come in?" he asks.
"Yeah, sure." I reply.
Maybe I should get to know these people. Maybe these humans are different.
The door creaks open, and I sit on the bed.
"Thanks." I say. "For the food, I mean."
The blonde boy comes to stand before me, and nods. "Oh. No problem."
There's a quick moment of silence between us as I bite the corner of my lip. "Um... I'm sorry I tried to scare you. I was being stupid." Trying to make small take is not really my thing. Besides the fact that I never even made friends from the School. Nobody really made friends there anyways, well besides Max and her Flock.
There were a couple of acquaintances I had. There was a girl who had lizard genes mixed with bird, but she didn't last long. Another was a guy who could turn into a metal bag filled with gun bullets, but he ended up shooting himself in his transition of turning back to human. I have never been good at making friends anyway.
"No. It's fine. But how did you do it anyway?"
The way he says it, he seems like he is not surprised at all.
"You're not frightened?" I ask, my voice going quiet.
The boy shakes his head.
I'm so nervous I try to hide it by pulling my knees to my chest on the bed.
"Look. I know this sounds weird, but do you need a place to stay?" he asks, his hands in his pockets.
I shake my head, giving a quick smile. "Thank you, but no thanks. I don't want to wear out my stay." What I don't say is that I tried to kill him and his father yesterday. What I don't say is that I don't like humans.... But maybe this one and his family are different.
"Yeah well, it doesn't look like you have anywhere to stay, so..." he starts.
"But..." I try.
"Stay."
"Okay."
He is staring into my eyes. His blue eyes into my browns.
I know I should look away, but I don't.
"Your name?" he asks.
"Jesse. Jesse Ride. Yours?" I ask.
"Jacob. Jacob Meyers." he replies. "Oh, and my mom wanted you to know you have your own shower in this room. Lunch will be ready at twelve."
"Thanks." I smile, standing up to grab my clean change of clothes.
"See you downstairs." he leaves.
And as he does, every part of my wired brain wants to get the heck out of here. But, for some reason, I don't.