Chapter 17

I woke up and Jason was gone. I had a huge headache and I was starving. I looked at my phone, surprisingly there were no texts or calls from Kyle. I slowly made my way to my window and climbed out. John was sitting in the back yard.

"Where are you going." He asked. He was looking at his phone. He never made eye contact.

"I really don't know, I just wanna get out of here." I said. He nodded his head.

"Danny be careful." I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him.

"No promises." I whispered in his ear. He let out a disappointing sigh. He finally looked up at me with pleasing eyes. I rolled my eyes and gave in. I hate how he does that.

"I'll be careful." He nodded his head without saying another word. He looked back down to his phone and I ran off towards the front of the house. I ran all the way to Main Street hoping Steven didn't see me.

When I reached main, I slowed down. I was out of breath and my head was spinning.

"Danyell!" I turned around and saw my friend Damante walking toward me.

"Hey." I greeted him. He gave me a hug and I smiled.

"Where are you about to go?" He asked. I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know." I looked around. People were walking and the sun was bright. "What time is it?" I asked.

"3:45." I nodded my head then looked around some more. The sun was bright, birds were chirping. The sound of cars roaring down the street filled my ears.

"What are you about to do?" I asked him. He opened his bag and pulled out a plastic M&M container. I stared, confused. "You're gonna eat M&M's" I questioned. He opened the container and pulled out a cigarette. I nodded my head. "Oh ok." He nodded his head.

"Want one?" He asked. I shook my head.

"I don't smoke." He nodded his head. He pulled out one of the cigarettes and lit it. The cigarette slightly sat on his lip as smoke came out to his nose.

"C'mon." He pointed to the direction he was walking in before he saw me.

"Where are we going?" I asked. He blew out more smoke. This time getting it in my face.

"You'll see." He winked at me and started walking. I followed. His steps were large, mine were small. He walking quietly, puffing out smoke every five seconds. I walked behind him. Letting the white cloud of dangerous chemicals hit my face.

We walked down an alley behind Main Street. He stopped at an abandoned building with dirty cracked Windows and fallen walls. He led me to a door on the side of the building. There I could hear voices. I heard laughing and loud music and a huge cash, then more laughing.

Damante knocked on the door three times, kicked the door then knocked once. Blowing another cloud of smoke in my face he held up one finger, indicating for me to hold on.

Moments later someone opened the door. It was a girl. I recognized her, she went to my school. Her name was Kayla. She was a sophomore, she had long black hair and brown eyes. She had a few freckles and a nice body. She had braces that sat on her teeth, they showed every time she smiled.

"Hey D." She said. Her mouth showed her braces as her lips curled. She stared at me then looked at him.

"She's cool." He said. She gave me a dirty look then moved out the way. Damante stepped in the building. For a moment I hesitated. Then I followed.

I heard the door slam behind me. I followed damante down a dark hallway.  I looked up and saw a light at the end of the hall. We walked in it.

"Aye what up D." Loud voices quickly filled my ears and the smell of cigarettes and weed filled my nose. I scrunched my face and followed damante. He walked around and said hi to his friends. The room was big, it was like a huge hangout room.